PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Legend

FASTEDDIE
11-15-2001, 06:25 PM
It has been reported to me this evening that "Knocky" House, Don Aronow's right hand man and co-driver for 10 years , died suddenly Monday night in South Florida. He was rushed to the hospital for what was thought to be a mild heart attack and it turned fatal. Knocky was 81 years old and a world class mechanic , racer and a collegiate star wrestler and one of the only people who could kick Don Aronows ass. He and Don raced all over the world and Michael at age 19 joined the tour, and with Knocky and Don, traveled all through Europe, Italy & Sweden and had a ball. Michael told me that the reason Knocky was Don's co driver was that he was the only one who would stay in the boat with Don and take the pounding that Aronow was famous for. Everyone else quit. Don said "Knocky is small and tough with a low center of gravity so its easy for him to stay with me". One time when Don and Knocky were testing a Magnum 28 in the government cut outside of Miami, Aronow got the Magnum 28 completely out of the water. They were standing in tandem, one behind the other to test and eliminate wind resistance of two racers down to one racer. Knocky stood behind Don and as they reentered the water, the lower unit grabbed a wave and the bow went up instead of down. Don flew up and out of his standing position and flew over Knocky's head. Knocky, strong as an ox, reached up with his right hand and caught Don by the belt and pulled him back in to his seat. He will be sorely missed. His wife of 43 years, Valerie survives him. I interviewed Knocky and John Crouse in 1999 and it was a pleasure. Knocky,we all loved you for who you were, what you did and how you did it. I hope the waters are smooth for you from here on in.

Christian
11-17-2001, 06:08 AM
A sad time,
Mr Brown, what can you share with about Knocky?

Thanks
and stay well,
Christian

MR MAGOO
11-17-2001, 03:02 PM
This is very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Knocky last May at the Cigarette reunion and I feel lucky to have met him. He was truly a rare breed, Kurt.

Digger
11-17-2001, 07:45 PM
very sorry to hear that. anyone have an address where we could send a card? or maybe we could all "sign" an electronic card and have it sent via email?

FASTEDDIE
11-17-2001, 11:21 PM
Cards may be sent to
Valerie House
2301 Northeast 18th Street
Wilton Mannors,Fla 33305
Let her know that her "Knocky" was special to all of us Donzi brothers.