PDA

View Full Version : Rub Rail Help?

RH
12-28-2002, 10:28 PM
The last few days have been spent on finishing up woodwork for the new office, so I had the Hornet in the shop where the heat is plentiful. Buffed the hull, and am thrilled with the results. Then this afternoon, while waiting for some dry time, I pulled a few hoses and started to clean the clamps and replace some old paint encrusted hoses. Then it was on to the rub rail. After spending about 20 hours of sanding, filing and buffing on my old wooden Century, new rubrail looks to be the easier choice. I have heard the you can order the lengths from Taco Metals in Florida. This seems to be the obvious choice. I am concerned about replacing and getting a good fit on the stern corners. Has anyone done this berfore and are there any tricks that make this an easier job?
RH

oldLenny
12-28-2002, 10:40 PM
A quote from Pearson, pertaining to 16/18's (Donzi'S) in regards to TACO METALS products.

"Also, it does not get notched out at the bow. Find the center first and then hold it at the center of the bow. Then bring it around to the side of the boat. DONT bend the rail yet! Screw the rail to the side of the boat and work your way toward the bow. Once you have one side screwed in then you can bend the rail around the bow and work your way down the other side. Do the same for the back and then you can fill in the centers on each side.

Also do yourself a favor and fill the old holes with WEST SYSTEM. Your new Rubrail holes will not exactly line up with the old ones. ANd even though they're supposed to be every 6 inches it turns out that some of them are not. You will thank me later on this one."

Again, this pertains to aluminum railing on a 16-18-? DONZI... Hope it helps! :)