PDA

View Full Version : Need a good boat trip destination

2biguns
11-15-2001, 11:52 AM
I have been annointed co-head honcho of our Cullman, Alabama boaters' "Put Your Boat On a Trailer, Buy a Bunch of Beer and Find a River to Go Somewhere" boat trip for 2002, and need somewhere fun to go.

Typically, we try to limit pavement travel to 100 to 200 miles, although last year we tried salt water and went from Destin, FL to Panama City then Apalachacola. Cullman is in the exact center of North Alabama--50 miles North of Birmingham and 50 miles South of Huntsville. We have Tennessee River access in Guntersville and Decatur (both about 40 miles).

Past trips have included Tuscaloosa to Demopolis on the Black Warrior, Nashville to Kentucky/Barkley Lakes (Green Turtle Bay--our #1 Favorite) via both Cumberland & Tennessee; Guntersville, AL to Chattanooga and Chattanooga to Knoxville. We'll have 10 to 20 boats with up to 60 people in everything from a 19' Cobalt to 33' Formula.

Anybody in the Southeast have suggestions? We trailer on Thursday with a group dinner Thursday night, boat to our destination Friday with another group dinner Fri pm, play on Saturday and limp home on Sunday. We also try for around 75 to 125 miles of river running.

donzislsman
11-15-2001, 01:36 PM
I guess lake of the ozarks would be too far; guarantee the time of your life. let me know I would be willing to help anyway possible. :cool:

2biguns
11-15-2001, 01:59 PM
That might be far for some of our boaters, but not for me.

I just checked out your lake on the Internet. What a beautiful place! The future wife and I just bought a Ford Superduty Powerstroke that will need some exercising come Spring. I'm going to start trolling for some adventurous Alabama boaters and may try to take you up on your offer!

RedDog
11-15-2001, 02:08 PM
For May, this is the top choice:

AOTH Donzi Net link (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000039)

or

AOTH Web Site (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/awakening.html)

2biguns
11-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Amy and I are hopefully going to be able to make it. I ran into a slight problem with one of my engines (mechanic drained 6 gallons of water from oil pan then discovered daylight coming through a pesky little hole behind the oil pan with rod sticking through it--OUCH!) and I'm awaiting delivery of 2 new blocks early next week. If the repowering goes as planned, we're going to use April to break them in then load up and head North!

I hate to subject you all to some of our crew.

Forrest
11-15-2001, 03:43 PM
Lake Eufaula! Either the Lodge at George T. Bagby State Park on the Georgia side or Lakepoint State Park and Resort on the Alabama side. Both places are great and both are destinations for the annual Labor Day weekend Donzi event.