PDA

View Full Version : Winterization techniques.

Kikwear
11-15-2001, 10:23 AM
I used to have an old cuddy cabin and I had all engine access because the whole cover lifted off. Not so with the Donzi. I was planning to run antifreeze through the engine until it came out the exhaust because I don't have access to the drain holes, remove the battery and seats and remove the drive unit. Anything else? This is my first winter with the Donzi. Come to think of it, would there be procedures in the owner's manual? Thanks.

Sam
11-15-2001, 10:57 AM
As long as the thermostat opened up and you have all the nooks filled your in good shape. Did you fog it ?

Sam

RickR
11-15-2001, 02:54 PM
There is no way I would winterize a engine without draining the water from the block, manifolds, water pump hose and oil cooler!

A 454 holds nearly 4 gallons of coolant! The only way to get enough coolant in the engine through the water pickup is to drain the block first or submerge it in a tub and let it recirculate while the engine is running.

After draining everything I fill with antifreeze to prevent corrosion. I save the antifeeeze in the spring and reuse it the following year if it still meets specs.

It is easy to remove the hatch on a Classic only 3 machine screws.

Kikwear
11-15-2001, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't running coolant through the system rid it of the water? Kind of bleeding the cooling system? Is there a detailed write-up I can find on this topic?

RickR
11-16-2001, 01:54 PM
Kikwear
Running coolant into the engine bypasses the engine and runs out the exhaust unless the thermostat is COMPLETELY OPEN! At idle you cannot get a V8 block to normal operating temp so your thermostat is only partially open.

Even if you removed the thermostat you would just be adding antifreeze to the block water so it would not mix thoroughly.

RedDog
11-16-2001, 02:21 PM
OK - here is the detailed drill I used - based on my interviewes of Rick R (I'm sure in Rick's mind the questions were endless) ;)
Winter Shutdown
Grease gimbal
Grease steering cable
Change oil
Change outdrive lube
Add Sta-bil at the last outing
Warm up and fog
Drain fuel bowl
Loosen belts (tighten in spring)
Drain manifolds (4 drains each), Block (drain each side), Oil cooler (2 drains)
Remove drain screw on drive water pump. Blow out hoses with air.
Remove large hose on engine water pump and drain.
Spray engine with CRC 656 (clean and re-spray in Spring)
Fill block and manifolds with antifreeze (Drain and save in spring for next season
Need approximately 8 gallons antifreeze - use full strength.
When you fill with antifreeze, fill block through large hose at thermostat housing.
Fill oil and power steering cooler and seawater pump through sea water hose (the one with the copper adapter) antifreeze will run out of seawater pump (On back side of drive).
Fill manifolds and risers through 2 small hoses connected to thermostat housing (antifreeze will run out of tail pipes).
Store with the bow UP and the drive down. Best bet may be some kind of tarp over the stern and drive, do not cover the whole boat (water will condense under the cover)