PDA

View Full Version : Steering upgrade

clayman
09-19-2002, 12:46 PM
I know we have all talked alot about upgrading to full external hydraulic steering. But I think the first step for me is replacing the cable helm with a hydraulic one. Can this be done with the stock internal steering ram? I would really like to get rid of the sloppy worn out steering box. I have been experiencing steering lock -up at full throttle? I have to back of the gas, and wiggle the steering wheel, then it begins to steer agian, not good, and a bit scary. Any thoughts?
James

MOP
09-19-2002, 12:58 PM
I am sure you coulf find an internal ram system, but most will agree that external attached directly to the drive is much better. It eleminates any sloppyness that mat be in the tiller assy or bushings.

Rodger
09-19-2002, 01:24 PM
If you are going to the trouble of upgrading your steering, you really should try to use external rams. I know it is expensive but steering failure often happens where the tiller arm fastens to the gimbal ring. I've seen this happen twice. Fortunatley the boats were not going real fast and no one got hurt. A passenger was thrown from a Donzi Hornet were the tiller arm broke but not injured, probably because of the relatively low speed.

BigGrizzly
09-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Do't waste your time. Most internals just replace the cable. If you want that tight just put on the rack from Teleflex/Morse, for your boat ita $118 complete. I did the complete change before Eufaula and can tell you it makes a BIG difference. Your an artist at what you do, you wouldn't use 1/2 a$$ materials would you-- Don't do it here.

CDMA
09-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Talk about a topic close to my heart...seems to be my never ending battle.

I originally ran my boat with the a Volvo 280 and manual cable steering. I didn’t feel, and still don’t, that a manual cable steering was appropriate in a boat capable of over 60 miles an hour. While many people use them with success it just wasn’t what I felt was appropriate. After looking into the cost and complexity of adding hydraulic steering to the older Volvo I decided to switch to the Mercruiser product line. I rigged the boat with the stock mercruiser power steering. In my opinion for a stock speed ( 60 mph) boat this was more then satisfactory. I was very happy. The torque steer was gone, control was superior, and slow speed maneuverability was better. So I did what everyone does when something works well… I changed it…

After running a full season I was pleased enough that it was time for engine upgrades. The 383 went in it quickly became apparent that the merc steering just wasn't up to par. Anywhere up to the mid 60's or so it was fine but one you crept up past the 70 mph mark the slop in the system, the lack of "weight" in the steering wheel and the vague on-center feel quickly became an issue. I did not feel it was dangerous but it just did not have the precision I was looking for in a 70+ mph boat.

So this summer Bertram Boy and I made some brackets and installed a Teleflex seastar internal hydraulic system. It is a non power assisted system that uses a hydraulic helm. The results were mixed. The vague on center feel and lack of "weight" in the wheel were gone. However the slop of the gimble was still there. It is better then the Merc OEM but not enough. Now I am trying to figure out what to do next.

I have resigned myself to external hydraulic and am in the process of investigating manufactures, models and options. It sure is a stiff shot but I think it is worth it. The systems go anywhere from $1400 for a single ram tie in system to $4000+++ for a full hydraulic dual ram system. From what I have found so far I am leaning to an Imco single ram external system. The dual ram is nice but I don’t think my application warrants the extra $1000. The real question now is whether to go full hydraulic or use the “tie in system”. There is no question the full hydraulic is superior but it just is a lot of money.

Sorry to ramble on. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. My $.02 would be that if you are going to stay with the power you have now the Merc system, as long as it is operating correctly, should be more then sufficient. If you want to add more power later external steering would be a good investment.

Chris

James I know you have been keeping your eye on it but for the others there is a post on OSO about a group of people making their own external hydraulic systems. They are really sound like they are doing a nice job. If nothing else it is interesting reading.

DS88
09-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Chris,

DS88
09-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Chris,

Have you looked into Latham Steering at all? I'm thinking of going straight to external steering instead of heading there in incremental steps...in 2008 of course.

Dave

CDMA
09-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Yes I have looked at Latham. In my mind they are the best. Their product seems the nicest, the best built and best designed. It just is a big price jump. It looks to me like IMCO makes a good system ( same basic design) without the killer price.

Chris

I would be real impressed if you made 2008 wink wink wink

BigGrizzly
09-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Chris don't waste your time the half system has a full 1/8 wheel turn slop. I bough the full system but installed the back half first. trying to save time before Eufaula. Didn't even get the boat wet. Stopped took the next day off work and installed the rest of it. I am a happy camper. I do have the Imco system. The helms are all the same-Char-lyn maker(there are different sizes), hoses is the same except Imco has dedicated ram pre made ones. When comparing them to the HP500 boys mine have thicker rams. This is not an issue because both Lathem and Imco are both over built. There are two other options Get pieces from a tractor outlet house and build your own-besure to paint them well first. Option two is exrernal cable. It runs to the outdrive where the rams would bolt to. this is alot better then merc power because the gimble slop is gone. Still full hydraulic is better, than all the rest regardless which you buy.