PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Wrap

Looped
11-15-2001, 10:19 AM
Has anyone bought shrink-wrap so that they could do it themselves? I have found a few places that sell it in rolls of 200’ or so but nothing in the length area of wrapping an 18’ Classic once or twice.

Thanks,
Craig

Steven Cohn
11-15-2001, 01:23 PM
Craig,
Try Defender Marine sales out of New Jersey. They sell the kind of stuff a boat owner needs to perform repairs and maintanance (unlike BoatUS, West Marine, Boaters World..Who sell shoes and soap).
Steve

RickSE
11-15-2001, 01:44 PM
Looped,
Donzi is using some new transportation covers on the Classics. They no longer shrink wrap Classics for delivery. The reason I bring this up is because you may want to consider purchasing one of these covers as an alternative to shrink wrap. The covers are really cool. They're a heavy mil plastic on the outside with a felt lined surface inside. They're custom made to fit the boat and also include built in vents. The only draw back I saw is that they're intended to be a one use item and fit very tight, therefor you may have to cut or relieve the cover in the corners. Seems like I remember the cover going all the way down to the chine.

I saw one on an 18 this summer and have been intending to buy one and try it out for storage and also transportation. I'm assuming they'll not be very expensive. I'm going to check on the cost but if your interested you may want to call customer service yourself.

HP 600SC
11-16-2001, 07:21 AM
Those covers that Donzi is using ARE
made from shrink wrap material.
They fit like a glove then when you heat them
they fit like a.....well much tighter.

Looped
11-16-2001, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the leads!

PaulO
11-16-2001, 09:22 AM
3 years ago I bought one of the home kits from "Dr. Shrinkwrap" who is online. It was a complete kit with the flamethrower, shrinkwrap material and all the little stuff. Instructions were great and it is actually fun to do it. The material is available in all sizes right up to what you would need for a 45 foot cruiser. Look online. You can buy it there and have it delivered. Dr. Shrinkwrap's site has the material also although I don't think he has the cheapest prices.
PaulO

MOP
11-18-2001, 09:46 AM
Hi having run a boat yard for quite a few years I have some advice about shink wrap. Most guys that have used it know this stuff. Make sure you put vents in or you will open a moldy hole in the spring. Don't leave it on any longer than you have to on painted boats it will blister your paint job. These were very costly mistakes we made early on. I my self will not use it I much prefer real good grade canvas. Yes a good cover will cost about $600 mine is now several years old and still going.
P.S to above it cost us an interior that would not clean up and two paint jobs that blistered.

Phil / Long Island