PDA

View Full Version : Ford Electrnic ignition

mphatc
12-25-2002, 06:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all !

I planned on a first ride on Christmas day on Winnipesaukee but the snow has obliterated the vision . . .
So my mind wanders towards summer . . and
the upgrades that should be done to the OE Holman Moody Ford 302 igntion on my Corsican. What are you folks using? Looking for recommendations !

I need to something while I wait for summer !

Gearhead99
12-26-2002, 07:32 PM
What do you have now?? Is it point ignition??

I prefer the Crane box with a MSD dist. My second choice is the MSD box and dist.

BigGrizzly
12-27-2002, 02:55 AM
I put a Malory Unilite on my Corsican. It has been in my boat for 7 years and no problems. I do have a msd on Criterion 3 years and no problem. Our 1966 16 with the H&M has had the dual point since new (we still have it) and it has gone through three engines with only a cam gear change. Al are good , just MSD is easier to buy, but needs a box the others don't

boldts
12-27-2002, 12:07 PM
You may already have this and I'm not sure how you like to play with a boat in ruff water, but if your going to replace the distributor, I would also look at an after-market RPM limiter to go along with it.

Most of us like to fly the waves every so often and it could mean the difference between a new engine and a wonderful day on the lake. I ran one on my H/M 302 Ford that came with different RPM chips to be installed in the unit. Every spring on the first run, I would install the 2000 chip to make sure the limiter was still working. Then, I would pull that chip out and insert the 5000 chip. In 16 years of ownership, the engine never over-reved because of that safty item. Probably saved me a bunch of money in engine rebuilds also.

BTW, the distributor was a Mallory Unilight dual point.