PDA

View Full Version : What Upgrades or Projects are in the Works?

GEOO
12-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Who's doing what? and When? Approx. finish dates?

I started the winter with a simple paint job. I think it's taking a lot more time to sand and fill?? (sorry Chris aka "Dusty").

Took out my Gaffrig Speedo and replacing it with a gps unit, not sure which one yet. ( three extra holes to patch)

Typical as my project seam to go. I decided on polishing the trim tabs. Well, I discovered the tabs had 3/4" cup in them from the water pressure. Need new stronger tabs. I'm planning on upgrading to Rocker plates if they will fit and I can get a good deal on them.

Intalling the rocker plates would require me to remove the transom mounted water pick up and mount a thru the bottom p/u. However the bottom p/u's do not have screens so I may need to add a water strainer.

Oh, now I'll also will need to change my trim tab indicators and maybe the switching??
How, I'm I going to fit two power trim pumps, thru hull p/u, sea strainer???

It's funny how thing never seam to change..

Greg Maier
12-25-2002, 03:05 PM
My next few projects are:

1. Shortening a pair of IMCO Hydraulic Rams to fit between the K-planes on my transom. A machine shop will do the job. I've done all the geometric calculations and the rams need to be shortened by three inches.

2. Installing a Stainless Marine Exhaust.

3. Installing a Gaffrig two handle throttle with trim switches.

fasttrucker
12-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Greg hope to ride in your wild donzi next year! It was a blast seeing you airborn in the chesepeake,of course i like my boat better.Next season i plan to pull the motor,not yet sure about the upgrades yet.Hope to see over 530hp. wink

Air 22
12-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Planning on installing March 2003

1. Stainless Marine Exhaust & Manifold

2. High Flow Oval Flame Arrestor..

3. New plugs & wire harness

4. Custom Paint underside of engine hatch.

5. Diamond Plate back-seat pannel inside engine compartment.

wink This should keep me busy for a few hours anyway....all but the painting ...thats for the shop. :D :D

boldts
12-25-2002, 08:14 PM
Hmmmm..... Got a number of "Like To Do's" for my 22 Classic before May and AOTH III.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4 - blade Hydromotive for more stable running in confused waters <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">White steering wheel <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gaffrig gauges - maybe a new dash pannel to go with them <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Remove the drive shower for a couple more MPH <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Synthetic drive oil for more MPH <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nose cone for the drive <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Remove the engine water pump and install cross-over tube <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Trim & Tab indicator <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And then if any Income Tax money is left,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stainless exhaust for the engine <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">External hydraulic steering <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Completion date of May 1st so I have some prop testing time and off to AOTH III with maybe a 70 + MPH Classic? I'll have to see how life lays out for my family and how much of this can happen. It may take longer than just 1 winter! :)

ToonaFish
12-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Boldts, I bet if you let Hyperbaja ride in your Classic a few more times, he'll let you claim him as a deduction!

Bunches,

Celene 'taxed'

Shanghied Again
12-25-2002, 08:24 PM
I will be putting my work in to the 16, sanding the bottom bringing her back to the catalog look she once had, new gauges.
The 26ZX will have a hole new powerplant in 2004. Have the Vortech and the motor is going in the shop next winter. I am looking for 750hp No Problem 85mph ZX is on the blue prints. But I have to build my wife the back room first. Anyway it gives me one more year to get the bugs out. 32 pitch prop Imco extreme drive and extension box would be awesome.

HyperDonzi
12-25-2002, 08:49 PM
ToonaFish:
Boldts, I bet if you let Hyperbaja ride in your Classic a few more times, he'll let you claim him as a deduction!

Bunches,

Celene 'taxed'LOL!!!!! Sure, Im up for that, the lake isnt ice yet!

Scott, What about that whipple at the shop off 161? wink Next summer Ill have a drivers license so if you ever need any help.... :D

smoothie
12-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Before the lake thaws:

1. External hydro steering,manual steering with a BB and TRS drive is down right scary,and hard to hold on to with "both hands"

2.Refinish the teak stripe on the bow.

3.replace amp gauge with original classic stewart warner.

4.Remove outdrive and replace rubber items,trim switch wiring harness,and fix skeg.

5.Add a ski tow ring for my kids and me.

6.Change trany fluid to B+M trick shift.

7.Clean the trailer up alittle.

About 4 more months to go till open water...come on open water :D

Bad-Tat
12-25-2002, 09:34 PM
1. External Mayfair steering
2. Closed cooling
3. SS aluminum manifolds
4. Disc brakes on the trailer

RH
12-25-2002, 10:32 PM
All of my Donzi winter tasks are pretty wimpy compared to the above posts! Brought the Hornet out of storage yesterday and buffed the deck, hullsides and transom with 3M Cleaner Wax and was quite pleased with the results. Spent most of the day on it as Xmas projects were all taken care of. I'm having a new office building built for my wife and have done all of the painting, woodwork, planning and general contracting for the project. With a mid January move in date, that means my spring will be spent doing landscaping and seeding. Money is tight (as usual) so the interior is scheduled to be redone in original candy stripe factory specifications this spring. Engine is slated for detailing fall of 2003. Ah yes... Life is good!

CDMA
12-25-2002, 11:31 PM
My list:

Geoo's boat.... :)

You call me and tell me to patch any more holes....and I will...I will....probably do it.

Chris

Thinking Geoo needs to help rig the 22 :p :p :p

farmer tx
12-25-2002, 11:55 PM
1. S.M. aluminum manifolds done.

2. Aluminum Heads

3. Aluminum intake manifold

4. Camshaft

5.Driveshaft and exhaust bellows

6. New rub rail

7. 15'' wheels & tires on trailer

I want to be done by the middle of march.

Wildfire
12-26-2002, 07:31 AM
Build shop building so I can start the project - expect completion by May 2003

boldts
12-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Celene, Didn't I mention that the whole Donzi family is already being deducted? :D Hyper's parents may have a little to say about me claiming him, but he's always welcome to ride in the Classic with me when our schedules match up! :) Hmmmm..... That blue Whipple sure would look pretty on our blue Donzi.

Kent Perroux
12-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Hmmm, I know, I have not posted pics yet. With all the testing, adding this, moving that this is what I am doing now....

1) Exteral Steering (need better control) Finish by next week.

2) Nosecone on Bravo (Finish this weekend)

3) Additional Fuel Tank (25 gals is not much) Spring 2003.

4) K-planes - Summer 2003

5) 510 ci to replace the 350 - Fall/Winter 2003

mattyboy
12-26-2002, 03:57 PM
new dash with gauges and a fuel tank

Matt

Sam
12-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Last year I made several motor upgrades but I think I was a little to cautious with the cam. So this winter a new more agressive cam is slated. Along with the cam I will make a few top half canges to complement the cam. Then to top it all off I will replace my stock exhaust. My goal is to get the sbc in the 370 hp range. Jammie Root has graciously voluntered to work with me on this project , thanks in advance James.

Sam

HyperDonzi
12-26-2002, 05:10 PM
boldts:
Celene, Didn't I mention that the whole Donzi family is already being deducted? :D Hyper's parents may have a little to say about me claiming him, but he's always welcome to ride in the Classic with me when our schedules match up! :) Hmmmm..... That blue Whipple sure would look pretty on our blue Donzi.What a coincidence? Isnt a Scorpion motor blue also? What about the HP500's? wink LOL, happy holidays Scott, Go Bucks!

Zinger
12-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Major work going on on this fine boat ,its in a thousand pieces,re-geled the bottom countless hours sanding and buffing, stringer work, new engine and drive ,fuel tank and many other repairs that i find redoing this boat hopefully its ready for the season. Jeff

Darrell
12-26-2002, 09:16 PM
Here's list and wish list

1) Lab prop (done, thanks Bryan)

2) Gaffrig depth guage (Jan 2003)

3) Stainless Marine Exhaust & Tips (Mar 2003)

4) Supercharger (Will be asking members for advice, must do a lot of reserch, maybe Jan 2004)

5) Seeing if you can cool the 12 gal water supply, so you could have margaritas on tap out of the faucet. :D :D :D

Darrell

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Darrell, the water is always cool from the tank.... it gets REALLY hot here, you will be pleased... we use it for rinsing off mainly...

Our list is similiar, not going to post mine.....
too long and I don't want to share all my data...............

Have a safe and happy New year.

Bryan

PS. Darrell, get in the chat room each night at 9pm.... don't mind Lenny.... eek! (teasing)

Rootsy
12-26-2002, 11:09 PM
Well since powerball didn't fall in my favor and make for a helluva birthday this whole list MAY or MAY NOT get accomplished this year... but we'll give it a go...

1. Get rid of the Coffee Cans... (who needs to listen to the radio anyway?)
2. Replace the merc controls with something a bit more nostalgic (tracking down that 150 merc :D )
3. Wet sand and buff the stripes
4. A 25 cleaver
5. Trim Tabs
6. Fabrication of, and Experimentation with, a few control ideas
7. MORE CAMSHAFT (Yes Chris... you were correct... :rolleyes: )

which in turn leads to...

8. A BRAVO...
8a. ahem, with a 2" shortie
8b. MORE prop to go along with the bravo...
9. A second job
10. External Hydraulic Steering
11. A Good Life Jacket
12. A Pilot's license
13. Parachute...

Detailed Schedule to follow... promise :p

Anyone wanna make donations???

BigGrizzly
12-27-2002, 02:33 AM
Change oil.
Remove throttle stop from carb.

classic_18
12-27-2002, 10:27 AM
Go to driving school....

tamburello
12-27-2002, 11:04 AM
A second Momo Acropolis Evo seat for the copilot seat. My girlfriend got jealous of my seat, especially in the rough stuff. Hopefully, it'll be runnin smooth for AOTH III. Maybe I'll get to the blown SBC and bravo upgrade will happen next year.

Forrest
12-27-2002, 11:22 AM
'72 16
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> replace burned-out Pertronix ignition module <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> readjust "EZ" shift . . . again :rolleyes: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'77 X-18
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> repair engine hatch damage that occurred last year from that trip to Dog Island <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> start thinking about fixing those dings on the bottom where previous owners have beached her on some rocky beach.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'72 Magnum 27
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> get props back from Hill Propellers <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> make sure that I fixed that oil leak that I found out about during Eufaula IV. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> install Pirelli flooring (if I find the time) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> r & r port fuel tank to replace the terminally clogged PVC pipe that runs under it. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> clean it up - if it's not dirty now, it will be soon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

WOT-sup
12-28-2002, 07:37 PM
Goals for '03:

1. make my boat able to float.

2. make my boat go.

completion ...bout 2 weeks from sometime.

penbroke
12-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Rebuild raw water pump.
Rebuild carb.
Plugs, points, rotor, cap, wires. (I think 27 yrs. is long enough between tune-ups.)
Replace belts.
Fix or replace tach.
Change thermostat.
Repair prop.
Improve battery mount.
Remove exhaust outlet from outdrive and block hole.
Install power tap for the GPS Santa brought me. :cool:
Replace missing rear seat bottom if I can find one?

Plan to be done by ice out. (I wish!)

Frank,
Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

harbormaster
12-29-2002, 03:14 AM
Rebuild carb.

Tuneup (Plugs, cap, wires. )

Add Dual battery setup (battery mount, battery, switch and wiring).

Remove plugs from Y pipe and install my Corsa silent choice exhausts.

Hope to have all of this done by the end of February. It is still boating weather here. I might go out tomorrow. A high of 68.

Jamesbon
12-29-2002, 06:54 AM
-lay two to three layers of HEAVY mat & resin between the center span of hull, where the tank will sit
-cutout and install 4 new bulkheads and tank support, glass'em in
-cutout one new rear stringer section and glass in
-re-glass rear stringers in engine compartment with HEAVY mat
-get my engine builder off his ass and have him get my pushrods installed, or I pick up the engine this week and finish myself :rolleyes:
-use bare block to set the offshore solid motor mounts and drill appropriate holes
-install deck
-cut out transom and install extension box and drive
-mount engine, bell h. and trannie
-install water pickup and appropriate hoses connecting no less than 3 seperate oil coolers :(
-install trim pump and associated hoses
-install trim tabs and pump
-wire or plumb and install 8 Gaffrig Guages and sensors
-install and wire all 8 or so accessory switches and cockpit lights
-install new Char-Lynn hydraulic helm, and route associated hydraulic lines
-re-chrome all hardware and install
-install new rub rail
-have 2 18' seat shells upholstered
-install carpet
-install seats and cockpit trim upholstery
-install 2 amps, 6 speakers, incl. 10" sub and stereo
-install my new Gaffrig two stick throttle :D
-install two lift eyes and have the welder fabricate new stainless mounts for each
-install windshield
-get a prop
-test this bad boy out
-pack for AOTH III !!!

Anyone needing something to do over the winter? wink It's warm down here and my fridge keeps beers ice cold wink

florida gator
12-29-2002, 10:27 AM
Head job.
Detail.
New decals (if I ever remember to send $ to Mark Albers).
Some upholstery work.
Windshield tinted.
Tune up.
Possibly repair soft spot in floor.
Prop repaired again (in spring after tides stop getting so low, I bent mine again yesterday).

Digger
01-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Engines are now out of the boat, my laundry list, to be completed by Spring
-Stainless Marine manifolds/risers
-Remove silent choice/related plumbing
-Stainless Marine superstrainers
-pre-oiler system(s) from masterlube
-clean up and paint bilge
-wet sand deck
-gelcoat repair near the stern, replace DONZI decals
-convert trailer wheel bearings over to liquid lube bath system. I am SICKNTIRED of greasing and babysitting six wheels

-still holding off on any graphics or paint. for now she will stay plain white.

Dr. Dan
01-04-2003, 09:42 AM
wink Well Hmmmmmmmmmmm? I am working on alot of "Secret Projects :cool: " for our little toy, however I am pretty sure most or all will have to be done next Fall of '03... meanwhile, I might squeeze some new gauges/GPS Speedo and a couple of small cosmetic upgrades here and there in the engine area...but just gonna have to hold out 'til we make some final design decisions for our "Ultimate Project".... :p ...Darn! .....Doc

FJB20
01-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Would Love to Find the GURU of Exhaust Systems.. Gotta 2000 Z22 (Smaller Stern Cavity than the ZX's) Want to Put Quick & Quiet - Silent Choice --- But Have Been Told by Some That It Can't Be Done. Love the Boat Just Wanna Make Some Noise So the Heads Turn THANX!!!!!!!!