PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Powertrim Conversion

mphatc
12-21-2002, 07:44 AM
I am the new owner of the Corsican that Bill Stephenson had. I would like to take the existing outdrive and either add powertrim to it ( for me this is only a fabrication challenge!)or swap to another outdrive by Volvo that has powertrim.

What also intrigues me is using the Volvo 280 with the exhaust in the cavitation plate for silent operation when skiing in early mornings . . . . wink with an exhaust valve to allow a quik return to thru transom exhaust :D

Fabrication is not a problem. I will maintain originality on this boat to the extent that I can always return it to "as built" by swapping out parts.

Is anyone else out there interested in a bolt on kit for this? Does anyone have a list of required parts to install a newer Volvo outdrive?

TIA, Mario L. in NH
wishing the lakes weren't all frozen right now!

LKSD
12-21-2002, 09:31 AM
YOU CAN BROWSE MY SITE FOR AVAILABLE VOLVO PARTS & THIGS TO USE TO CONVERT TO TRIM............JAMIE
WWW.LAKESIDERESTORATIONS.COM (http://WWW.LAKESIDERESTORATIONS.COM)

boldts
12-21-2002, 02:23 PM
mp,

I used to own a 69 18' Classic and had thoughts of designing a power trim set-up for it, but was told that the expense would far out-weigh the end result. I also didn't have the fab. knowledge that you seem to possess. My father and I added material to the ears where the trim rod goes across and moved the highest trim hole out and it made a great big difference in how the boat ran. Any help you can provide to those Volvo 250 and models that do not power trim. Even though I now have the Merc Bravo 1, I'll look forward to reading your updates.

Andy knuth
12-29-2002, 12:57 PM
I have installed a trimsystem 7 yrs ago using older merc outboard rams.Itworks great aside from replacing pivot bushing annually.check out my drive on the members boat list.

RH
12-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Didn't the Volvo 270 have a trim option in late 1972 or was it on the 280? I was wondering if you could add the trim option to an existing 270 drive? I feel that it would improve the top end speed of the Hornet. Just speculation, any thoughts?
RH

BigGrizzly
12-30-2002, 12:37 AM
I have a Corsican and added a 290 with trim, took me a weekend to complete and I didn't remove the engine. Very little modification to origional hole in the transum. I kept the 270 top and middle covers and used the 290/280 gear case. I did have all the parts before I started

olredalert
12-30-2002, 08:01 PM
Mario,

--------Griz's info is the best so far.Hands on from someone whos been there-done that!I think he could be convinced to help you(verbally)more if you need it as well.

Griz,

--------Mario is a great guy.Very hands on and a professional.You should see his shop.Builds very fast Beemers for rich guys!!!!!...............Bill S...........ol red!

BigGrizzly
12-31-2002, 02:40 AM
No problem- I would do this conversion again- no changes just now I have power trim. The other alternative is a 370T or 280t. They have big outside trin cylinders but are direct bolt on very rare. 290 was common on house boats

mphatc
12-31-2002, 07:13 AM
BigGrizzly,

So as I understand the 290 solves all the challenges but is not just a bolt on?

I do not want to make any modifications to the still virgin transom on this boat. I presume the 280T is a direct bolt on to acheive my desires?

Happy New Year!

BigGrizzly
01-01-2003, 02:37 AM
290- like I said very little mods 1/2inch on one sidw for anout 2 inches and 3/4 on the other for 4 or 5 inches and a little on the top. I did not remove the engibe or anythibg else, it is not a direct bolt on like I said. the 270/280t is if you can find one that works and doesn't leak.