PDA

View Full Version : Cool Test Drive

Jim Powell
05-17-2001, 11:01 AM
I know you SE Michigan Donzi Registry members will get a kick out of this story.

I few weeks ago, I got a call from the Donzi Dealer (Scott Young / Bayshore Marine / Traverse City, MI) that I bought my used 1998 22 Classic from last summer. He want to know if I would be willing to do a favor for the Donzi Dealer in Windsor, Canada. Seems that the dealer in Canada has a "high-profile" client that wants to test drive a 22 Classic and the dealer doesn't have one in stock. I say OK, I figure if I do a favor for this dealer he may be able to help me with something down the road. Either way, I had planned to drop my boat in this week and have it rack stored for the summer (Gregory Marina / Detroit River). So we make plans to hook-up at the marina yesterday afternoon and do a quick test drive.

After a real hairy ride down Lake St. Clair, I pull into the marina and standing there on the dock is Steve Yzerman, the Captain of the Detroit Red Wings.

Unbelievable, I blow-off work thinking I going to just get some chores done and do a favor and the next thing I know, I'm doing speed runs with Steve Yzerman on the Detroit River.

Too cool.

We talked quite a bit about the boat handling / features / history and come to find out that a number of his friends have Classic Donzi in Canada. Basically, he been looking at a number of boats and is real interested in the Classic for his summer home in Canada.

After about an hour or so, we head back to the marina and I drop them at the dock. Steve and the dealer both thank me for the test-drive and they head off for their next appointment.

As I'm standing there on the dock, I realize I didn't even ask him his autograph. Oh well, I still have a great Classic Donzi story I can share and I would bet any that Mr. Yzerman will soon be buzzing the lake on his own Classic Donzi.

PS: Things like this don't happen to the guy that buys a Sea Ray - another reason to own a Donzi Classic.

BigGrizzly
05-17-2001, 01:56 PM
Bravo, Jim Bravo!!!!!

I know the feeling I used to build Bobby Clarks motorcycle. some how your story is more fun, I was just a grease monky.

Randy

Forrest
05-17-2001, 03:27 PM
NO kidding! Wow!

------------------
Forrest

Jamesbon
05-17-2001, 03:33 PM
AMEN!

boldts
05-17-2001, 10:16 PM
Jim,
What a great story. Those type of things just don't happen to everybody. Looks like we may have some famous participants at future Dust-offs, Awakenings, Poker Runs and other Donzi gatherings.

Scott Boldt