PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX 55MPH Spinout!

Looped
05-16-2001, 08:40 PM
Here is one from Bryan Tuvell that he mentioned at the AOTH:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=12948788&p=48611117&Sequence=0&res=high

Frank Civitano
05-16-2001, 08:47 PM
Bryan ,, Must keep that trim up on turns. What a feeling. Hey I did that 3 times on purpose Just to find out what the boat can handle. Now I take turns at 70 with no stuffing, a little air slip in the rear but I can live with that. Looped Great Pic! How is Bryans boat doing. I know he had a problem with the engine.

------------------
Frank Civitano

GeneD
05-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Look guys, I am the first guy to show you what I can do with my boat, but I have grave reservations about the prolification of this maneuver.
This is the classic jet ski spin.
First off, I wasn't aware this type of thing can be done in our boats.
When I heard Frank doing it, I just said to myself "Oh, this is just Frank showing off."
Frank can do that, he is an extremely experienced race boat driver (lot's of people don't know that) and I wasn't afraid for Frank or his passengers.
But when I see others doing it, when I don't know their performance boating experience, I get scared.
Please kids, don't try this at home. This is done by professionals who know what they are doing.
Oh my...I need to take a deep breath...
And by the way, I can't wait to try it...

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 05-16-2001).]

BigGrizzly
05-16-2001, 10:01 PM
In a early post that Bryan wrote he stated that he would put the trim down on turns. Frank told him that this would happen. This is one reasion they don't put tabs on them and the 22ZX has thar spinout rap.

Randy

boldts
05-16-2001, 10:50 PM
GeneD,
You are exactly right about don't do this on purpose. In Bryan's case, there was no intention to do this on purpose. They are actually very lucky to still be in the boat. We've all seen the offshore races where the slotted F2 boats have had a problem with spinning the boats in a turn and have thrown everyone in the boat out. I got to listen in on Frank's explanation of why and how to prevent the boat from spinning out when he and Bryan were talking about it. Frank is a wonderful teacher when it comes to how to handle a boat. I had a girl try to do this with my round bottom Classic the way she used to do with a Mastercraft. If she had not been hanging on to the steering wheel and I to the passenger grab rails, we both would have been throw from my boat. I agree, this is surely not something to try with your friends in the boat with you. Now... if your by yourself on a weekday with no one else on the lake and you have a kill switch installed and you want to find out what your boat can and can't do... go for it. Don't be mad though if you get wet and end up swimming after your boat as it coasts away from you.

Scott Boldt

Frank Civitano
05-17-2001, 05:19 AM
Scott. When I heard of what a step hull can and will do. It was time to find out under stress what will prevent that from happening. So I took out all the seats,except mine. Helmet on Jacket on and Kill switch on. The first turn I took at 60mph and stuffed the nose in. Did a complete 360. Once I had the feel I did the turns harder. 3 times I spun that boat out. Until I figured how not to make the boat stuff or spin. Trim up in a turn will prevent that from happenning. There is still the chance of a slide out. But thats were you and the boat have to become one. I had to make sure the boat was safe. I ride my family at high speeds. Once I learned how the 22ZX handled I fell in love with boat more. The best bet is when you get a step hull,keep the trim 1/4 way up all the time and never try to take steep turns, The boat is fast enough when your running to make up the difference from the turn.

------------------
Frank Civitano

BigGrizzly
05-17-2001, 07:49 AM
Sorry I though you were tabless. My son does have tabs on his 99,just though yoy didn't. I beleive Steve Simon told pootle and I they wern't putting them on that boat for a reasion.
Bryan what ended up being the problem with yuor boat. Saw it in the parking lot, really clean. Maybe you don't know how to drive but you do know how to keep it clean. I envy that the harder I try the dirtier it gets.

Randy

Forrest
05-17-2001, 08:33 AM
Great picture, Bryan . . . Who took it and how did they know to have the camera ready?

------------------
Forrest

Bandit
05-17-2001, 10:19 AM
It's not only Donzi's that will switch ends on you. I did the same thing in a 33' step hull Scarab at 40 mph. and you slide before you know it. I was at a boat show on a demo ride and saw a 38' Donzi w/blowers heading towards us out for their demo ride so we went for the turn and she spun out. By the way, we tried and got close but could not catch the Donzi.

------------------
Bandit...

RickSE
05-17-2001, 11:43 AM
The best tip I ever got came from one of the Donzi Test Drivers. His tip was to watch the bow. During a turn the bow will roll over in the direction of the turn, if the bow ever starts to level out and roll back in the other direction, immediately drive out of the turn.

Here's a good one. Last summer we were talking to a boat dealer from Michigan who had recently come down to FL for instructions on driving bigger 30’ stepped hull boats. He was scheduled to go out in a 30 footer with a test driver but was informed the driver was unavailable and that someone else would take him out. He and the driver were out in the Gulf, in the mist of a turn when apparently one of the engines failed. Mercruiser only installs one power steering pump on twin engine set-ups and of course the engine that failed had the pump. As a result the boat rolled completely over 360 degrees. The dealer was able to maintain his grip on a grab rail and rolled with the boat but was hanging outside the boat once it righted itself. He then proceeded to climb back in the boat and noticed the driver was gone, he'd been ejected and was a couple hundred feet away. Since the hull had nothing to do with the roll I’d prefer not to name the manufacturer. Moral of the story is that sometimes there's nothing you can do and there are risks you must accept.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 05-17-2001).]

BigGrizzly
05-17-2001, 01:47 PM
Bryan, Just to clear the air. Some times motors just give up (like people) no matter what you do. One of my best race motors blew sky high in 3 laps, took it apart and took a bunch of old parts in the trailer put it back to gether and finished 16 races in a row with out a problem. Point is don't get soured, if you like the boat that much keep it. Since 1966, I have had three boats that I really liked and I still have them. Yep the Criterion is one of them.
Sorry for your trouble, it will work out. Keep me informed. Did you understand what I ment about docking the boat?

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-17-2001).]

STUNG_AGAIN
05-18-2001, 03:06 PM
It's hard to watch the "Stung Again" and not wanna do the same. Bryan, stick to being the "Big Offshore Guy" and leave the maneuvering to me. Great way to wash the boat though.... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

"...we sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would harm us..."

vagrant
05-18-2001, 03:51 PM
Hello all
hey bryan dont get bummed about the engine man its a boat and it took me a while to realize that myself i'm just like you i take care of my boat and do regular p.ms as you, but the same thing happened to me just be glad that you have a warranty, i didnt and let me tell you doing one engine was bad enough but two liked to kill me, but you know i now have two brand new engines with some what of a warranty and the bad thing is that it could do it again (lets hope not) but i believe that if you really have a good interest in something then no matter what it takes you try to do what it takes to do what you enjoy! anyhow long story but just wanted you to know i know how you feel
I also wanted everyone to know that i really enjoyed the aoth i just hated that i didnt get to know everyone and sit down and have a long get to know ya conversation with everyone well i guess i'm going to have to get out more !
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

[This message has been edited by vagrant (edited 05-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by vagrant (edited 05-18-2001).]

boldts
05-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Bryan and David,
Let me know when you plan to get together on Lake Norman in NC. I have a sister in the Charlotte area and have boated on Norman only once. From what I saw, very nice lake with lots of restaurants on it. Didn't have anyone with me to show me the relaxing hide-outs and sights on the lake. I'd be interested in doing a long weekend in NC.

Scott Boldt

roadtrip2
05-18-2001, 11:07 PM
Dang Bryan,
By looking at your profile in the boat, it appears as if you were trying to drive from the port side or from the cuddy! Behind the wheel helps brother!!!!!
Good luck with your motor issues and get it back out there ASAP! Todd

Donzitester
05-19-2001, 08:45 AM
Experienced or not, guys BE CAREFUL!
I drive these things for a living and feel
that you are playing with fire.
You can get KILLED trying these maneuvers.
Enough said.

vagrant
05-19-2001, 10:38 AM
Bryan and Scott
I will be more than happy to show yall our little pond up here so let me know .
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

boldts
05-19-2001, 12:20 PM
Donzitester,
Do you have a E-mail address? I have some questions for you that should probably not be in public forum. If you do not want to post the address, please contact me at: sboldt@insight.rr.com or (614) 833-0121.

Thanks;
Scott Boldt

Donzitester
05-19-2001, 10:26 PM
Bryan, I agree, the best way to tell if your
or anyones stepped hull is on the brink of spin out, be it a 22zx, 28zx, 33zx, 38zx,
and even a 45zx is if you are in a turn and the boat is leaning into the turn, as all V-hull boats do, then the boat levels out,
IE: the deck is paralell with the horizon-
or starts to lean to the outside of the turn,
it is going to spin. It will happen so quickly that you may not notice it before its too late. Some hull's will actually give a warning hop or two before this outside lean occurs-and these are the most critical.
If any of these things happen then straighten the steering wheel and back off on the throttle, not all the way but at least 50%.
I know most of you guy's are very good drivers but stay on the lookout for these
warning sign"s if driving any brand of stepped hull. Beleive me it happens quick!

Frank Civitano
05-20-2001, 08:36 AM
DonziTester.. When I bought my boat? Before I would allow my Family and being from race boat background. I took the 22ZX out and ran the boat for what she was worth! At this time you were not with the factory and they were not aware what was making these boats spin out. I removed everything! Except my seat. In a very short tim I learned what this hull can and can not do. I called Steve and let him know How to prevent a hook. Any good driver will take a boat to a limit so the best way is someone that has no experience with the hull can be told before they kill themselves. My 22ZX runs in the 80s and is probably one of the fastest of the 22ZX models. My goal is 90 and I know the boat can handle it. The trick is in turning her and once you learn the hull there is no more problem. A step hull is the same in any boat, The only difference in a Donzi it is a big step that allows for a lot of air under the boat. This is not a bad thing but must be respected. I had Mike Miller with me at the AOTH. I had him up to 79.5 GPS with my family aboard. We came in to a turn I backed off the throttle to 65 and trimmed up in to the turn half way through I throttled up and left the trim higher. This way the nose stays up. Mike was impressed. The only difference is I learned how to drive the 22 and I feel confident with her now.

------------------
Frank Civitano

boldts
05-20-2001, 09:44 AM
Everyone,
One of my questions for Donzitester was: Are classes on how to drive a Donzi with the slots offered to the public buyer? I was told that Donzi offers a class twice a year through the dealers. I'm sure that this information is often lost in the sale of a new Donzi, but if you have this knowledge and ask your dealer about these classes, your dealer should be able to give you class dates and sign you up to attend a class that will give you needed information on how to handle the slotted bottom models of Donzi. It may even be a class for any type of Donzi that is pushing the envelope as far as speed and handling.

Scott Boldt

Frank Civitano
05-20-2001, 08:46 PM
The Problem is. That most of the Dealerships are so interested in makeing the sale,they could careless about what happens after the sale! When I bought my boat the guy that took me out knew more about his Bayliners then Donzis! and believe me he didn't know about Bayliners either. He couldn't drive the boat didn't know the engine and could careless step hull are not. Make the sale give you the keys and go! Thats why when you sell a high Performance boat ther should be mantatory classes before any person takes delivery of a high speed boat. You can buy a 37 Outerlimits 120mph boat and drive it away. My freind just bought a 70mph Warlock and no classes or trial run! Oh lets give the guy a gun. If Donzi offers it Dealerships should give it! believe me they wont loose the Sale. They will make the sale stronger by showing they care! Just my thought

------------------
Frank Civitano

boldts
05-20-2001, 09:19 PM
Bryan,
I checked into the Scarab class a few years ago just out of general interest. Only problem was, of course, you had to own a Wellcraft Scarab. I didn't know about the Donzi class though. It makes sense. Is the Donziman2 planning on attending with you?

Scott Boldt

DONZIMAN2
05-21-2001, 09:17 AM
Scott, I have tried to get this set up on a couple of occasions. When I bought Bryan's boat and when I took the factory tour. I don't think the course is available. It has been talked about but I was never able to get a firm answer on where/when to show up. I am still interested. I think it would be fun and certainly educational. Good post!

RickSE
05-21-2001, 10:42 AM
I also thought I remembered my dad saying something about a "learn to drive" class from Donzi. When I asked him about it last week he said that Wellcraft used to offer a class but did not anymore and he wasn't sure about Donzi. I'll ask him again this week.