PDA

View Full Version : 502 short block purchase

Jamesbon
05-16-2001, 03:18 PM
Fellas,
Is $1250.00 a fair price for a used Mark VI (6) 502 block, crank, and 7/16 dimple rods? Also, is a Mark VI a 1996 or newer block? It's out of a truck and will be magnafluxed prior to me buying. I have to make a decision by tomorrow AM, the guy has another buyer.....

CDMA
05-16-2001, 03:40 PM
Nate doesn't sound to bad...

Chris

What about all the other marine parts...those will kill you. Might be better with complete marine engine and then build a shortblock.

Chris

Bryan Tuvell
05-16-2001, 03:51 PM
I am no expert on engines, but since I think I blew one I was curious as to whit it is costing my warranty... a 502 was in the 13K range.
http://www.outdrives.com/merc/mengines02.html

Here is the link, just trying to help in case it is off base.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-16-2001).]

Jamesbon
05-16-2001, 04:04 PM
Thanks Fellas.

I really can't fork out 10-13K for a complete unit. I've always "pieced" them together for much less $$. I figure I can sell my small block stainless marine manifolds which will help fund a set of BB manifolds. Then buy a BB heat exchanger, use my old raw water pump. Find some merc pulleys and power steering pump. I have spare alternators, starters, distributors and so on. I also have a line on a pair of Brodix/Inconal aluminum heads for $1500.00. On top of all that, I'd sell my 388 which would help as well.

WHEW! If I was ever satisfied with what I had, I wouldn't go through all this stuff. Wish I liked SLOW boats http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

CDMA
05-16-2001, 04:47 PM
Nate,

If you go ahead lets talk about the stainless marine mainifolds. I also have a line on a few sets of CMI big tube headers that you might be interested in.

Chris

BigGrizzly
05-16-2001, 04:58 PM
J.B. Your going to closed colling system it, right. Regardless of what people tell you. only the alternater, carb starter and distributer need to be marine. Bras freeze plugs are the only other thing. Remember my Corcian it came from a car. Cam and such you wouldn't use any way. I have alot less than 13,000 in my motor for the Criterion, and its got a blower. you did one engine for it so do a 502. I'm talking from experience not from a mag rag

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-16-2001).]