PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Trailer Question

Scott Pearson
05-16-2001, 08:05 AM
Ok... I know some of you have a Rolls Trailer. I set my Rolls up before the motor was in the boat and it was great. Then once I put the motor in and the deck back on it sat a litttle different. The two cross members under the hull with the riveted on Nylon pads now hit the bottom of the hull.

So last night I brought the bunks in a notch and let the boat back down. I have about 3/4 of a inch now under the crossmembers but I'm not to happy the way the bunks are sitting on the hull.

Rolls make the the biskets that are adjustable under the bunks. I moved them to angle the bunks more to the hull but then I loose the clearence from the crossmember to the hull.

The only thing I can think of doing is getting longer bolts and spacing the bunks up with something.

Need some input on this on...Thanks Guys!

(NJ)Scott

Looped
05-16-2001, 09:07 AM
Here be a look see:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11451597&p=48573499&Sequence=0
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11451597&p=48574327&Sequence=0

Craig

[This message has been edited by Looped (edited 05-16-2001).]

RickR
05-16-2001, 10:33 AM
Scott
When the trailer flexes the gap should get bigger (hull to crossmenber) so you just need a little clearance. If necessary get a longer bolt and shim the bunk w/the biscuit or eliminate the biscuit and add a angled shim. You want the bunk to be the same angle as the hull.

On the Rolls for the 18 I cut about 20 releifs in the bunk so it could contour to the hull (24 degree deadrise at the transom then gets greater toward the bow)

The guide V bunks in the front will scratch the hull. After loading a few times the carpet will wear through. I seperated them and installed a 10" keel roller in between.

Paint and dash look fantastic!!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-16-2001).]

smokediver
05-16-2001, 06:51 PM
hey scott. you should try a 2x8 on its side and cut the top at a 12 degree bevel. i have an aluminum trailer and thats how it is set up with a keel roller in the front. dont get the black rubber one . get the clear ones . they dont leave marks.

------------------
better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Dr. Dan
05-16-2001, 06:58 PM
Scott, I like the coordinated color carpet on the bunks, I agree with RickR,or could you just add marine grade wood to the bunks if the shims are not enough?...Doc

BigGrizzly
05-16-2001, 07:24 PM
I go with Rick he has had at least 2 rolls trailer. after seeing how pickie he is I have no doubt what so ever he knows how to fix that problem. He is the kind of guy you want to loan your boat to, because when you get it back its better then when you gave it to him.
Just for the rechord your boat looks great!

Randy

Scott Pearson
05-17-2001, 07:45 AM
Guy's,
Thanks for all the feedback. I spoke with Rick last night and he gave me some great info that I will use. Im going to get a roller today and then adjust the biskets under the bunks. I dont need much adjustment at all just a touch. I have about 3/4 of an inch to work with under the keel. Rick says he can just about fit a credit card under his...so Im sure I have some room.

You guys sure the carpet doesnt look to much?

(NJ)Scott

Looped
05-17-2001, 07:57 AM
Scott,
The only thing with the carpet is it looks like it's an indoor carpet. You may want to change to an outdoor carpet so that it will breathe better, dry out quicker (so that it won't wrought out the bunks quicker even though it’s probably PT) & hold up better too.

Just another thought.
Craig

RickR
05-17-2001, 02:46 PM
Scott
Sounds like your almost there! Good luck with the maiden voyage! I can't wait to see her.

Before I use a new trailer I redo all the crimp connectors with bare butt connectors and adhesive lined heat shrink. It will save you alot of grief down the road.

I also install stainless eyebolts on the rear crossmember for transom tiedowns and add a safety chain near the winch.

Griz
Thanks for the compliments. It's funny how many of my friends beg me to borrow their boats.
How about letting me borrow "Damn Donzi" in Sept for my Florida trip http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I'm sure she'd be alot more fun than Genuine Risk. And her sweet exhaust note would turn alot more heads. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-17-2001).]

Scott Pearson
05-17-2001, 06:58 PM
Ok....I got the bunks all strightend out. They fit perfect! And I have enuff clearence under the keel. I will add a roller this weekend.

I got the steering cable all connected and it worked out great.

(NJ)Scott

Dr. Dan
05-17-2001, 07:32 PM
Very Cool ...Glad it all worked out,can't wait to see it!...You got my vote already for "whatever category"...Doc