PDA

View Full Version : Question For the Gearheads,Engine & Drive Fantasy

Dr. Dan
05-15-2001, 10:02 PM
O.K., so Scott's dash got me dreaming, what would be the ideal set up power and drive wise for my 22 Classic if I decided to repower downstream? Scorpion 377,HP 500 EFI, HP 500 Bulldog, HP 575 SCi or the new 496? Or would I be better off going to a Teague or other performance set up? I am interested in overall reliability and of course performance...appreciate your opinions...Doc

GeneD
05-15-2001, 10:41 PM
The 377 Scorpion engine is one bad ass engine.
It pushes the ZeroCavity 24' offshore raceboat to 80 MPH.
And sounds great!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

BigGrizzly
05-16-2001, 07:41 AM
I've got a Grimes Twister Racing engine. Its a 502 with a procharger and puts out 698.5 hp and 700 ft lbs of torque.It starts like its fuel injected but its a carb. Any who rode in it at Cumberland will tell you its got torque up the old wazoo. It will pull hi70's low 80's without much trim. Geoo thinks its capable of 90. With the TRS and trans that soaks up about 70->90 hp. Got to love it. Grimes builds motors for Eliminator and Python boats, so hes got to be good.

Randy

Jamesbon
05-16-2001, 07:44 AM
I'd build my own radical cammed, Brodix headed 502ci. or 540ci Chevrolet and couple to an Arneson drive.

...oops, maybe I'm not fantasizing.... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif he hee heee

[This message has been edited by Jamesbon (edited 05-16-2001).]

CDMA
05-16-2001, 08:03 AM
I second Nate. High Hp is great but unless you have the propper drive to put it down with it just is a waste. To me at least for a high hp application you have to do the whole package. Drop 800 hp into a pinto and it still is piece of S^$@. Not meaning to step on anyone's toes but I am not even sure if you really want to fly if a Bravo is the way to go. Yes that won't kill as much power as a TRS but you still don't get the handling charecteristics of a longer more precise surface drive. I am not saying that surface drives are free of their flaws by any means. I don't want to hit 90 or even 80 if the boat is at all hard to control. Hey Grizz think about this. I paid $650 for an ASD-6 w/ hyrdaulic steering trim and all hoses. How much is that hydraulic steering? I know I need more with the ARneson but I bet all parts considered it will work out really close. Just a thought.

Chris

BigGrizzly
05-16-2001, 05:30 PM
Chris your memory is short. The arneson does handle better at high speed, with much tuning. Geoo didn't gust pop it on and go 80+. Then there is low speed handling and docking. Its a bear I have done it. Not saying its a bad way to go but there are too many bad points for where I go. The TRS drive is capable of 800hp, the bravo can be made the same strangth. You got your stuff used. That why it was cheap. Not everyone has connections. Now you need a trans and than build a engine that will live. Countless hours redoing the stern etc. Think about that, not everyone can do that kind of quality work. I wouldn't attempt it. I'll just put in more hp, that easier and cheaper for me. My time is more valuable to me on the water then in the garage rebuilding the stern and all that goes with it. Your young 19 I beleive, I'm 55, I need all the fun I can have at this point.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-16-2001).]

Peter Beck
05-16-2001, 06:33 PM
Well my 22 has a stock 502 motor so would it a waste to put a Procharger on it and if I would do I need to beef up the Bravo Drive? An article in Hot Boat says it can add cheap horse power and if you don't beating the boat it should last and be reliable. Any opinions?

BigGrizzly
05-16-2001, 07:05 PM
Frank and I have Prochargers. Franks is a 7.4 with no mods, except echaust, maybe heads if he ever put then on. His bottom end is weaker than yours. I saw a honest 79.6 on his GPS, and can tell you he wasn't playing pattie cake with it and he has had it for over a year. My bottom end is the best you can buy at this point, no trouble so far. the trick is 5psi bost and don't beat it constantly. If you don't race it constantly outdrive and engine will live. If your a Bozo with it, then reach into your pocket alot. If Frank or I were to do it again we would. I mite have gone VORTEX because I know the owner. Maybe not.
Next on my list is CMI hedders then hydralic steering. Just not this year.
Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-16-2001).]

Peter Beck
05-17-2001, 08:10 PM
It seems the Procharger is a simple installation and very reliable is the Vortex similar?

BigGrizzly
05-17-2001, 09:01 PM
Vortex id similar, inter coller is an option. Some say support is better after sale, I didn't have any trouble, and it fit. The Vortex has to have oil pan driled for oil return, Procharger has the new SC(self contained) so it doesn't have to have it done. Earley Prochargers had a bearing problem but it is fixed now, so get a new one. that's the whole scoup

Randy

Dr. Dan
05-18-2001, 06:45 AM
Wow, out of town for a few days and what a response! Thanks for all the great feedback guys. By the way Vortech and Paxton have merged Pete & Griz,just an FYI, if ya can't beat'em join 'em...should help continue their mutually strong reputations for good product and service. Next year I'm considering a unit for my '93 Lightning. This year it's a new Exhaust System and all suspension parts replaced. 129,000 miles and I drive this puppy all day through out my sales territory,too bad I can't figure out a way to use the Donzi for that...Thanks Again...Doc

Peter Beck
05-18-2001, 07:39 PM
I only have one problem in getting a Procharger “my wife”. Any suggestions?

Gearhead99
05-18-2001, 08:18 PM
Hey, there is NO substitute for cubic inch. You need the BB grunt. The supercharger is a real plus, if you keep the boost pressure out of the stratosfere.

A 22 can handle the power. Step up. Get it built locally if you can't do it yourself. Build it for reliability.

Happy hunting !!