PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering

PaulO
05-15-2001, 02:20 PM
I have just ordered external hydraulic steering for the Cig. I chose to go with a single ram add-on system by WPM. I am looking to achieve 3 things - tighter steering, less gimbal wear, and a safety factor. As you know, with Mercruiser type power steering, if you lose a belt at speed, the result can be life-ending. I will report on the installation and results.
PaulO

Jamesbon
05-15-2001, 02:28 PM
Good Buy! I wouldn't have it any other way.

bverd
05-15-2001, 03:24 PM
Where did you order it from? Shopping around myself.

bverd

BigGrizzly
05-15-2001, 03:31 PM
use twin ram the single puts stress on the gimble. If you think Merc is bad think about the one ram breaking--> stage left right now. this is why I don't have hydraulic now am saving for twin ram. What I told you is fact, saw results of a broken singke ram on a Python. It also took oyt the gimble at the same time.

Randy

PaulO
05-15-2001, 05:41 PM
Ordered it from Bruce at WPM (314.952.0861). Great deal $1,150 for the whole setup. The system can be added onto also. You can add a second ram and also a hydraulic helm without replacing anything. Grizz, I agree that dual ram is better, especially for gimbal wear. With the single ram, the Mercruiser hydraulic cylinder is disabled but, the original cable is still attached. If the ram breaks you have manual steering same as if you throw a belt on stock setup so, the end result of a broken belt on a stock setup is the same as the end result of a broken ram with the hydraulic. I would rather bet on the ram staying intact than the belt staying on at 5200 RPMs.
PaulO

BigGrizzly
05-15-2001, 05:59 PM
Your using the half system and using the merc spool valve on the tiller. That setup still has some play. Most HP guys don't like that. I.m not sure, so please keep me informed. I need hydrualic steering. when I trim it gets out of controle at the hi70's low 80's. Good luck hope it works well for both our sakes.

Randy

Frank Civitano
05-15-2001, 08:20 PM
Paul O. I was ordering Marine Machine. I heard the steering you ordered is better. You don't have to drill the Bravo 1. Thats a great price! For that price I would cancel my order. I am going with the single ram set up. I was told dual ram is better but you don't need it with a bravo 1 with power assist steering on a single engine application. M+M are 1400 for single.

------------------
Frank Civitano

PaulO
05-16-2001, 04:52 PM
Frank,
Did you install your exhaust? How did it work out?
PaulO

Frank Civitano
05-16-2001, 08:41 PM
Paul O . Oh yea, I put on Stainless Marine and I picked up another 2mph just from them. They sound great too!! I got to get you on her one day. wanted to take you for a run when we are in LI. I finally got Geo aboard and Mike Miller from Donzi

------------------
Frank Civitano