PDA

View Full Version : to buy or not to buy minx 86

Don Carone
05-14-2001, 10:22 PM
1986 creme red minx looks to be right out of the factory, 350 (not fuel injected) re routed exhaust. other than these modifications, it could be 1986, the screw heads still line up.
the family didnt like the 18 classic and the guy had this in the barn. Whats it worth hows it ride does it have enough power??
thanks in advance for any info

GeneD
05-15-2001, 07:32 AM
Don,
The Minx is not a very popular boat, and that is not to say there is something wrong with them. Thing is, there aren't too many of 'em around! Kinda rare.
I rode in Randy Hibbard's Minx while in California. He had a 350 and the boat consistently ran up to the 60's if memory serves me. The boat is stable, the ride is great, I thought the interior layout was nice. It's a modern version of the Classics and nicely done.
If you like the price, and you fully check out the engine (no surprises!) then get the thing. You can't go wrong, the resale value is up there, though I do not have access to my NADA Marine Guide.
Good luck!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

PaulO
05-15-2001, 08:04 AM
Personally, I love the Minx. More length and freeboard than the 18 classic and a really cool looking boat. As Gene stated they are relatively rare and still easily identifiable as a Donzi. When I was shopping for something bigger than the 18, I saw a couple of nice Minxs. The only reason I did not buy one was because I think they are underpowered with a small block. I would love to have one with a big block/Bravo combo. That would be a great boat.
PaulO

Forrest
05-15-2001, 09:31 AM
If you can get a "deal" on it, buy it! The Minx is great boat

------------------
Forrest

Dalelama
05-15-2001, 10:01 AM
You must buy that boat!

I'm quite happy with my fuel injected 350 Alpha powered 87.....

As Paul sez... a big block/Bravo would go faster than the 350... more weight... more gas...

It's a way dry baot, and rides better than all the 18's and most of the 22's.

------------------
Dale Evans
Miami, FL
'87 Minx / 320 EFI

PaulO
05-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Last fall there was a creme/blue Minx for sale with tempest SBC/Alpha in nice shape. The guy (an aquaintance) was selling for $10,500 which I thought was a good deal. Just then, I found the 20' Cigarette with the BBC/Bravo1 for $9,400. The conditions were similar with the Minx having the cosmetic/gelcoat edge but the Cig had newer/better power, tons of good stuff like silent choice, gaffrig guages, etc, and some of the neatest rigging I had ever seen. I am happy with the Cigarette but, the DOnzi is great boat.
PaulO

Don Carone
05-15-2001, 03:40 PM
I just got back from my test ride.
it sounds great
runs great
is $19000.00
looks great
did I mention sounds great
I think its to much $$ I just dont want it to be the one I regret not buying I cant stress how much this boat looks like a brand new boat.
Im hopeing you guys will talk me out of it I have to give him a yes or no by wed morn
HELP!!!!!

PaulO
05-15-2001, 05:31 PM
$19,000 sounds real high. You're getting into 22 classic territory.
PaulO

BigGrizzly
05-15-2001, 06:07 PM
If it really looks that good, and you really like it, sometimes lots of dollars and no work are worth it. This price may be high, but any one on the net with a minx in that kind of shape would not sell for any less ash Randy H. The call is really yours Good luck whatever you decide.

Randy

AVickers
05-15-2001, 07:08 PM
I passed on a really, really nice '86 Minx early last year w/ BigBlock/Alpha combo. The boat was nice (Blue and Tan w/ a teak swim platform) and the drive and top end of the engine had been recently rebuilt by the dealer. Unfortunately, the trailer was trash.

The guy wouldn't budge off of his asking price of $15.5 (claiming that he had way more than that tied up in bills to get the boat "up to snuff') and I suppose he eventually got it. I passed 'cause I never pay an asking price and I was spooked by the BB/Alpha setup -- especially in that it had required rebuilding. Sort of confirmed my suspicions that an Alpha has no business behind a Rat...

Anyway, turns out that a BB/Alpha Combo was to become a part of my life... I eventually bought an '86 22 Classic w/ a BB Magnum and an Alpha w/ a cone and deep-water pickup. Paid less than what the Minx was going for and the boat was purtier. And it came w/ a fine Galvi trailer as well as an Aluminum Trailer (Goofy in that it's set up for a 28' SS BigBlock Cigi (it's a bit long and tongue-heavy w/ a 22 Classic on it, but it looks way cool...))

Was out almost every weekend all summer and fall...hapy ending!

Oh yeah and I had to rebuild the Alpha for this season. Not really as bad as I thought it would be -- hung it on the boat Sunday and I intend to splash it this weekend.

Yeeeeeee Haaaaaa!

Dr. Dan
05-15-2001, 08:08 PM
Don, I was just checking my files check out www.boats.com (http://www.boats.com) they have NADA values and might provide insight for retail ranges for this puppy! ..Good Luck ...Doc

Don Carone
05-15-2001, 09:14 PM
Is a minx in this shape that rare?

Another thing I noticed, when they changed the exhaust (to gil w mufflers) they just bolted round plates to the transom to cover the old holes. The new exhaust comes out much higher

It also it had a trimtab joystick on the center of the cluster that was disabled and had installed a bennet rocker switch system with indicators above the throttle

Thanks for all your help, it helps to make an educated descision

THANKS AGAIN!!

Murphy
05-15-2001, 09:41 PM
The 350's Donzi installed in 86 were mostly the Tempest 300 I think. If that's what you've got then it's a great engine. Mine's at the speed shop getting spruced up right now and the stock car guys would like to get their hands on it. The Tempest had a 4-bolt main, forged hi-performance pistons and rods,
and produced 300hp. It's a great platform for upgrade and you can get to 350 or 360 hp pretty easy. Considering the price of gas a strong 350 ain't all bad.
I bought my 22 Classic in the low teens, but after all the work I'm going to be near $19k. If you start there, the Minx ought to be in turn-key shape. Otherwise you could end up in the mid 20's and that seems to be a bit on the high side. Good luck.

Murph

Randy Hibbard
05-16-2001, 02:07 PM
$19k dose sound high. Mine was a perfect cond 87 limited edition for 14k. Thanks for the compliments Gene! She's up to 65 now with the mods to the 350. As far as I know only 200 or so Minx boats built. Ride is fantastic I think. Got to go, Jennifer and I are going to Miami Sat for a boat ride, the Explorer Of The Seas! Holds 3000 people! Ye Haa! Oh yea, Randy was right, I would never sell mine now, even for 19k. Goodluck.

------------------

Randy

Dalelama
05-16-2001, 03:15 PM
WOW!!!

$19k sounds WAY WAY too high!

I picked up what I think is the only factory fuel injected 87 Minx for 12k... and its in showroom stock condition... ask anyone who saw it at Portofino last year..... not "remod" holes in the transom... all factory do dads working and in ORIGIONAL locations..

The 350 block 320EFI is still in the same config as Mercury shipped it to Florida.

Granted, this boat was custom ordered as a tender on a 103' yacht, and was professionally mantained for over 10 years. AND, it came with a new galvanized dually trailer....

I would definatley haggle with that price....

Good luck... I was VERY lucky!

Don Carone
05-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Unless theres anything else Ill try to get them down as much as I can I dont think want to pay that much. Ill send pix if and when I get it.

Also they do have a 1988 18 2+3 still for sale the one I did not want. 183 hours w&r white int 350 chev if any interest let me know

again thanks for evrything

Tim Howland
05-23-2001, 08:41 PM
Don,

Sorry I did not respond to you post earlier. I owne an 87 Minx with 270 hours on it 350/Alpha 21" Mirage Plus. I run strong in the low 60's. Been a great boat, would not pay anything higher than 12k though. Good luck.
All good,
Tim

Greg
05-24-2001, 08:59 AM
Don, I have some early 1984 Donzi lit. There is a sheet with a line drawing of the Minx, but no price. However in'84 the 18' w/Merc.260 was $22,255 the 21' Hornet (same power) $31,500 and the 22' Classic (same power) $28900. I can only assume that the Minx was somewhere in the middle. So it looks like they are asking almost new price.