PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Flush

Crossbow
05-14-2001, 04:21 PM
Anybody know the proper way to use the transom mounted flush attachments ,always thought you were supposed to run the engines while it was still in the salt water and the pressure from the hose would block off the intake water and let the engines flush! always did it that way on my Z-25 ,never a problem, just get my Z-33 and it has a warning label that states DO NOT RUN ENGINES USING FLUSH INTAKES ,ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR! Whats the right procedure? as I do intend to leave the boat in the water for extended periods of time

Crossbow
05-14-2001, 05:12 PM
Is the water pressure from the hose sufficient enough to flush the heads without running the engines???

tm
05-15-2001, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Crossbow:
Is the water pressure from the hose sufficient enough to flush the heads without running the engines???

tm
05-15-2001, 07:46 AM
According to the shop manual for mercruiser attach flushing attachment (raise outdrive, attach and lower) turn on water approx 3/4 open and run engine. Do not use full pressure as suction from engine may collapse hose and cut off water. I use this procedure in salt water and have had no problems.

wintersux
05-15-2001, 09:30 AM
I have an 88 z with the flushing attachment. Warning sticker States, Do not run engine while using. This attachment is installed between the sea pump and the oil cooler on the big block. It will not feed the water pump and will toast the impeller. Check the routing of the hose from the flushing attachment to make sure where the attachment is to the water feed hose.

Crossbow
05-22-2001, 07:02 PM
So does merc suggest that hose pressure is enough to flush all the salt out ! because it definetly states DO NOT RUN ENGINES!! help

JimG205
05-22-2001, 07:18 PM
Crossbow-You have a couple of options:Put a ball valve shut off on your sea water intake and install a tee fitting to adapt to your fresh water hose.This must feed your impeller or you'll melt them.run the engines at idle ONLY. The 30-40 lbs of garden hose pressure won't be enough if you idle up past 1200 rpm's( the impeller intake pressure will collapse the water feed hose.This method works fine on the ski nautiques with 351's in them-never suffered a meltdown.Your other option is a product marketed on shipshape tv-saw it a couple weeks ago-try their website.It's specifically made for different size engines,and is permanently mounted,all stainless construction.Good luck-Jim

PaulO
05-23-2001, 09:19 AM
There are a couple of flush kits available. I just intstalled one on the Cigarette and it works great. There is a valve that goes between the water pickup (either through-hull like mine or from the drive) and the pump. When you connect the garden hose and supply water, there is a valve that closes off the raw water side and supplies only hose water. You can run the engine(s) with this. Perko makes a nice one but it was too big to fit into the space I had. I will try to find the manufacturer of the one I have.
PaulO

tm
05-23-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Crossbow:
Anybody know the proper way to use the transom mounted flush attachments ,always thought you were supposed to run the engines while it was still in the salt water and the pressure from the hose would block off the intake water and let the engines flush! always did it that way on my Z-25 ,never a problem, just get my Z-33 and it has a warning label that states DO NOT RUN ENGINES USING FLUSH INTAKES ,ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR! Whats the right procedure? as I do intend to leave the boat in the water for extended periods of time

tm
05-23-2001, 12:06 PM
Keep in mind that if you attach flushing ears directly to outdrive and idle engine you are flushing entire system including outdrive. If you install flush unit in raw water hose between intake and impellar on engine, you are just flushing engine and not outdrive and engine.