PDA

View Full Version : HELP NO COOLING!!!!!!!!

raritan
05-10-2001, 02:46 PM
Took the 65 16' out today for first time. NO COOLING> This boat has the hull scoop and one pump on the bow end of the engine. How much trouble do you have with the impellers and do these pumps have enough suction to pumpp the water up to the pump. Appreciate your help as always. If you wanna email me direct please do thomas@yellville.net

Jamesbon
05-10-2001, 03:56 PM
Not sure what specific set up you have, but I would do the following tasks that apply to your hardware;

1)Check that the water inlet "gate" is open
2)Pull the water pump and inspect the impeller
3)Check the impeller in the drive (if you have one)
4)Make sure your raw water exits or hoses are not blocked
5)Can you hook a hose to the engine and pass water through?

raritan
05-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Just pulled impeller and there arent many vanes left. This is a Johnson pump. Are parts hard to get. We live out in the boonies

BigGrizzly
05-10-2001, 09:46 PM
thoes parts are comon. Boat US carries them it is the second most common impeller. Overton's also has them, as well as dealers.
Never start engine with out water this eill sure to happen also winter frezz will do it if water is in the pump. Had this problem before. Oh yea sometimes they just go bad by them selves.

Randy

DonziDave
05-11-2001, 08:46 PM
Raritan - In addition to replacing the impeller, you need to find all of the missing pieces of the impeller vanes. They can get stuck in the hoses and other areas restricting the water flow resulting in more overheating. Esp. watch out for uneven cooling - a water port on one half of a head could be blocked etc, etc.
Dave

GeneD
05-11-2001, 08:55 PM
The man is obviously speaking from experience, I can...
This is good advice.
One easy way is to remove hoses while running. Check for good flow.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

raritan
05-11-2001, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I bought another impeller today. Kinda expensive puppies in Northern Arkansas 32.00

Gearhead99
05-12-2001, 10:31 AM
It would be a good idea to have a spare on the boat. They do go bad by themselves, and high RPM doesn't help.

If you carry spare impeller, you will always have the parts and can get it changed.

You know it only happens on a Sunday or Holiday when all the stores are closed. Or worse yet when you are several miles from shore. Been there, done that.

AVickers
05-12-2001, 02:41 PM
Is the pump mounted on the end of the driveshaft? Or is it on the block, near the alternator?

If it's a block-mounted pump, pay very close attention to how it's mounted and how the hoses are run. It is possible to mount this pump upside down such that the hoses are reversed. (Don't ask, I just know...)

If all else fails, on these pumps, the water circulates all the way around the periphery of the pump from the intake to the output side.

Also, check your belts -- on older boats, they are probably glazed and in need of replacement.

Enjoy

Forrest
05-13-2001, 09:53 PM
Hay, have any of you guys ever tried a Globe Resilient Blue Impeller? They make 'em to fit anything, they're guaranteed to RUN DRY FOR 15 MINUTES with no damage, resist sand abrasion, and last way longer than rubber impellers.

Here is their website:
http://www.GlobeRubberWorks.com

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-13-2001).]

Blewbyu
05-13-2001, 10:45 PM
Great find Forrest! I replace every two years just to be safe-these would be superb at twice the cost!
Thanks-Jeff