PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Systems

Joe I
05-10-2001, 10:18 AM
I have stock 1990 OMC 454/360hp(?) King Cobra set up. This has a distributor-less ignition system. I would like some ideas for an upgrade along with expected benefits. I did a little research and found that MSD makes marine ignitions systems only for engines with distributors.

wbateman
05-10-2001, 05:07 PM
Joe,
I have a 90 4.3 OMC and that Spitfire stock ign went south last year. Was dropping cylinders. No!!! Parts so we put a dist from a later year on it. They only made that mess for 3 years and now I know why!

BigGrizzly
05-10-2001, 09:49 PM
Bill neglected to tell you one thing. His boat runs better now then ever before.

Randy

Joe I
05-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the input. My problem is the engine has NO distributor. I am looking for aftermarket options. I cannot use the MSD 6M-2 or similar because these systems link to a distributor.

Maybe I am not explaining this right.

Kent Perroux
05-11-2001, 01:31 PM
Joe,

You should be able to use the MSD with the installation of a distributer. Your 454 (chevy?) block should allow a distributer installed. The best bet is a full MSD but you can also use a simple points distributer which are not too expensive.

The MSD marine ignition will take a beating and keep on firing. The majority of race boats that are allowed use MSD.

Kent

Joe I
05-14-2001, 08:10 AM
Is the conversion difficult and/or expensive besides the purchase of MSD parts, etc.? Are major modications either mechanical or electrical necessary? Will the reliability be the same?

BigGrizzly
05-14-2001, 09:24 AM
No, Just like putting a new complete system on a car. Bill did it because parts are haed to get and they stopped making the analizer tool. My boar originally had a marine HEI ( only one I ever saw) on it with intermal coil. It now has a complete MSD system, and I will never go back.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-14-2001).]

Joe I
05-15-2001, 08:04 AM
I have never done this before but feel encouraged enough to try. I am going to research the cost and will let you know how I make out.

GeneD
05-15-2001, 08:10 AM
Ahhh, Centerport...I have many fond memories of Centerport. The Thatched Cottage, for one. I made many trips to the motorcycle shop on that side street, I can't remember the name anymore. And I used to go to Veteran's Motorcycle Salvage all the time, and would drive past Centerport just for the scenery.
Ahhh, my high school and chopper days...

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida