PDA

View Full Version : fresh water cooling systems

Moody Blu'
08-08-2001, 04:28 PM
I know alot of you guys have started to brush off my questions, because I ask so many.
what do you want from me, I am trying to get answers.

I need help!!!
serious help!!
my boat keeps getting real close to overheating and I am sick of wondering if it is sea weed or the likes.
I asked a while ago about fresh water cooling systems, and what they consisted of.
I got a few replies but no one really explained it to me.

can someone point me in the right direction on buying a fresh water cooled system I would love to fully cool the wole engine with it (headers included) I need some peice of mind and a fwc would give me that. I just dont know jack about them and need some advice. after all I am the one that will be installing it.

here are my specs.
ford 351w, glenwood headers (log style)
I have a jabsco crank shaft pump but it leaks a little by the seals, I guess I could use that as a heat exchanger coolng pump?

Hurry!!
I need the kit by the weekend,the first annual club meeting is at the waters edge this sunday at 11am, I want to be able to get there without cooking my engine!!!
thanks in adavanced!!

Scott Pearson
08-08-2001, 06:35 PM
Blu,
What makes you think that if you put a cooling system on your boat that it will cure your problem? If its getting hot now then I'm suer it will get even hotter with a cooling system. I would look into the problem more. Sounds like something isn't preforming right. I read your other posts and it sounds like your baot get very hot very quick. Could be an internal problem.

My 68 never gets above 150.

(NJ)Scott

Moody Blu'
08-08-2001, 08:36 PM
hey does anyone know if running an engine with a lot of retard in the ignition would make it run hot???

I put my 750cfm cabr back on the boat today, I returned the jetting back to base calibration and went as rich as I could go on the secondary (to get the rpms up)
it ran awesome.

For a while I have had a surging problem but I thought that it wasnt the timing.
I did the timing like this: I brought the engine up to TDC and then put the distributor rotor to cylinder#1 . it was set like this for a while. the engine would almost stall at 1/4 throttle after about 30 seconds of running smoothly.
I thought it was the carb being to big, for a while.
Today after I switched the carb and put my 750 cfm back on I turned the distributor about an half an inch counter clock wise.
I started it up at the same exact throttle position(left it in gear) and it got a little better, then it almost stalled again. so I turned the distributor another half inch, now it is running perfect with out missing a heartbeat.

Did I have the ignition way to retarded?
did that cause my temperature rising problem?
I hope so.
maybe thats why the speeds I am getting are so low, I ran 51.4 today(before I turned the timing. though I still think I need a different prop.

so... am i on the right tRack or not?

sorry I have so many questions, its just I am a new engine freak and all of you started out the same way so help a brotha out!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

BigGrizzly
08-08-2001, 09:13 PM
Nobody is brushing you off.I explained it to you-here it is again-Just like a car but the rad is replaced by a heat exchangrer. The heat exchanger is cooled by raw water(read that sea water). You need two pumps, the cieculating pump on the block for the antifreze ahd the raw water pump for the heat exchanger.
IF you think your over heating you better give us a accurate temp reading -- close to the H doesn't count. YOu say its close to overheating--- Does it overheat or is it close. IF it does overheat there is something wrong. If you don't have a seaweed strainer better get one fast. I use to live on the bay and a strainer is a must. TRy a new thermostat. and giv us some real numbers
Too much retard and your going to over heat and quick. set that at 8->10 bftdc. If yoy start turning that distributor by 1/4 inches your going to get hurt. Learn how to time your motor or find someone to do it for you.There ar hundreds of books on engine tuning NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE STUFF, GET ONE READ IT then ask questions on what you don't understand. Thats how I started over 40 years ago.
Randy

Moody Blu'
08-08-2001, 09:39 PM
cool, at least now I know that to much retard will overheat an engine. I will run the boat tomorow and see what happens.I didnt get a chance to run it after I turned the ignition counter clock wise.

big,the engine would get close to overheating. I always have my eyes glued to the gauges(mostly the temp gauge) so when it does start to rise fast I slow down.

big, I have been to lazy to put a timing light on it. I guess I should put the timing light to it?

I appreciate you reiterating what you already said, I went back and read the other cooling topic and understand it better.

I am not running a thermostat, when I do put in a thermostat the engine pump leaks water from the seals not the pump cover(sprays everywhere)
I'm not sure if I can get my pump rebuilt. Heck Im not even sure jabsco makes my model water pump anymore.
I know that the plate that drives the water pump off the crankshaft is a holman and moody plate.

hey big do you know where I could get a closed cooling system for a really good price???
I want one!!!
thanks!