PDA

View Full Version : Deck removal help

Jamesbon
05-08-2001, 08:46 PM
Awwwwww Fellas,
It's been challenging and heart breaking to say the least. (see pics below) The deck's off with exception of the bow. Should I cut the tip off where it's cracked? Or keep chiseling away in hopes that she'll seperate? It looks as though it's two pieces.

Also, are these huges cracks repairable? (I'm sure they are, but could use a little reassurance at this point.)

As always, your advice is GREATLY appreciated. I couldn't say thanks enough for the guidance everyone has provided.

Nate

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12863253&p=48146624&Sequence=0

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12863253&p=48146623

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12863253&p=48146625

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12863253&p=48146622

CDMA
05-08-2001, 09:02 PM
Nate,

Awwwwww man I feel for you. But no worries. It is all fixable. Fiberglass is a great thing and with a little time, guidance and patience that could be good as if not better than new. I would say try to get it off as close to whole as you could then even later if you decide you are better off to take it all off you at least have the option. The crack is fixable without too much of a problem. Reinforce grind fill and so forth. The side part that is broken off would be to me tha harder part but still do able. KEEP ALL PIECES!!!! No matter how small. If you are intimidated by the fiberglass work give me a call and we can talk through what to do. I had a similar problem when a tree fell on my deck 3 days before it was to be painted last year. Hell if you want to pay a plane ticket I will just come down and give you a hand.

Chris

JimG205
05-08-2001, 09:02 PM
Looks like you had water trapped under the deck in the area that cracked,blistered gelcoat by crack,I would not cut off any original piece.Try supporting it from underneath with some 3/4 wood and lay another piece across the crack and screw them together like a sandwich.Then try working the remaining section free from the hull.Patience is the key here.Good luck.Jim G.

CDMA
05-08-2001, 09:03 PM
Sandwich good idea at least to try to get it off...good call Jim...

where do you boat out of????

Chris

GeneD
05-08-2001, 10:05 PM
Oh man, I hate when sh*t happens.
Not to worry, too much anyway. Try to get it all off in one piece. The sandwich idea is a good one, and a recommended procedure when repairing Corvettes with the same type of damage.
Here is a tip, don't try to fix that until you finish your hull work. You face to many obstacles in trying to repair it when it is off the boat. To repair that, in order that the cap fits back on the hull, the cap must be ON the hull.
So after you remove the deck, fix your hull, put cap back on, repair cracks, ect.
It's the only way.
The fiberglass work you will learn is going to be invaluable in the future. Not to worry Donzi Boy, all fixable.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Scott Pearson
05-09-2001, 07:54 AM
Could be worse....You could be sitting in a foxhole in some other country with mosquitos biting your ass while getting rained on, with someone is shooting at you...

Anyway...That not that bad. The wood thing is a great Idea. Gene is right, your going to have to to that repair work on the deck when its on the hull. Then take it off and do the rest.

(NJ)Scott

JimG205
05-09-2001, 02:17 PM
Chris-Grew up on Manhasset Bay in Port Washington,have been boating on north and south shore of L.I.and culver Lake in Northern N.J.Been restoring correct crafts and chris crafts-looking for my first Donzi an 18' 2+3,keep me in mind.Thanks JimG

CDMA
05-09-2001, 02:29 PM
Jim,

Live in Stony Brook. And boat mainly out of Eastern LI. However I am currently in school at Webb Institute of Naval Architecture in Glen cove not far from you.

I own a 1968 yellow 18 2+3 completely restored with a 350 alpha one

And a in progress 22 1987 to be a BBC Arneson

Chris