PDA

View Full Version : COLOR CODE FOR RED STRIPE ON 1966 DONZI SWEET 16

NVRBEENKISD
07-17-2001, 01:58 PM
I HAVE JUST COMPLETED A TOTAL RESTORATION ON A 1966 DONZI SWEET 16, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE RED STRIPE. I HAVE PAINTED THE REST OF THE BOAT WITH IMRON WHITE AND NOW WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS THE COLOR CODE FOR THE RED STRIPE. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL HAVE THIS PRECIOUS INFO, AS I WOULD HATE TO SHOW UP AT A DONZI MEET WITH A BLATANTLY "WRONG COLOR." THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE YOU CAN PROVIDE FOR ME.

Tony
07-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Sorry no has answered yet.... If the Donzi Customer Service people can't help you, here is a pic of my '67 Ski Sporter (http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer02.jpg), it has plenty of red to view and the picture is pretty accurate. It was re-gelcoated about 6 years ago, I assume they researched and used the original color. If you get desperate I could probably have someone do a color match and e-mail you the results. Good luck!

Greg
07-18-2001, 07:50 AM
I have the original color sheet from the info that came with my '66 classic. The fiberglass finisher back then was a company called FERRO. They are still around I found the website without too much trouble. The red color you seek is called LUCAN RED and the number is VF 1828. This information dates back to '66 and may not still be valid, but its the best I have. Good luck.

ALLAN BROWN
07-18-2001, 10:55 AM
It was named after Lord Lucan, one of our racing pals, who was a descendant of the "Light brigade" Lucan. It is kind of a tomato red.

brownie (How's that for lower case?)

Jimisaid
07-19-2001, 01:21 PM
Hey, guys. If you're interested, I remember reading all about Lucan in "King of Thunderboat Row." It was pretty cool stuff. FYI- it's in the chapter on Formula.

NVRBEENKISD
07-20-2001, 11:08 AM
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!! I SHOULD HAVE TALKED WITH YOU EARLIER (WOULD HAVE SAVED LOTS OF T&E (TRIAL & ERROR AFTER ERROR AFTER ERROR AFTER.......! MY WIFE LEARNED SOME WORDS I SHOULD HAVE KEPT TO MYSELF. EVEN IF THE PAINT CODES ARE DATED, MY PAINT SUPPLIER SHOULD BE ABLE TO CROSS REFERENCE THEM. THANKS AGAIN, FOR ALL THE HELP ALL OF YOU HAVE GIVEN ME! WE'LL TALK AGAIN, SOON, I HOPE.
P.S. SORRY ABOUT THE UPPER CASE, BUT IN THE AUTOMOBILE BUSINESS WE DO EVERYTHING IN CAPS FOR THE DMV, BECAUSE THEY HAVE A TENDENCY TO NOT LIKE THE SMALL PRINT WE DEALERS USE.