PDA

View Full Version : Transom/Stringer material ??

Jamesbon
05-07-2001, 02:12 PM
Fellas,
What kind of synthetic material can I use for the new transom and stringers?

RickR
05-07-2001, 02:33 PM
John Ribiskus www.shipshape.com (http://www.shipshape.com) used a glass encapsulated foam for stringers and bulkheads on a recent show. But it wont hold a screw or bolt.
When installed properly (encapsulated, faired, and caulked) marine grade wood will last a LONG TIME.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-07-2001).]

Len
05-07-2001, 04:47 PM
Jamesbon, I can't find it right now but there is a company that makes a "filler" material for your exact use from standed fibres and resin. The site said to remove wood etc, and make up a dummy transom wall and pour this product in. As well as removing the wood/rot from the stringers and leave the side glassing up the plywood in place. then fill it with this compound and "they say" it is bullet proof, umpteen times stronger and your water and rot worries are over. I will try to find it for you.

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 05-07-2001).]

Len
05-07-2001, 05:44 PM
ahhh,...here it is!
http://www.seawolfindustries.com/seacast.htm

GEOO
05-07-2001, 05:54 PM
Nate, Here's a quote from the Donzi Home page:
" The transoms on select Donzi's are hand-laid utilizing the highest quality materials: High-density Divinycell closed-cell foam coring encapsulated in 3610 tri-axial and bi-axial cross knitted fiberglass. This greatly increases strength over conventional wood core transoms while eliminating water intrusions."
I used 3/4" marine plywood in mine. I looked in to divinycell. Seams like a good product. GEOO

jwright
05-08-2001, 10:27 PM
The stringers can be just about any material if you make the fiberglass overlay heavy enough. The material just becomes a form for the glass and is not needed for strength. Screws can be an issue in light laminates. A way around this is to just use wood where things will be attached, or glue brackets on the stringers with epoxy. Extra work for sure but it can save weight.
High density foams are being used in highly loaded areas. But plywood is tough to beat, and if the boat is rigged properly wiil last a long time. When you cut out all your holes in the transom, you can dig the plywood out 1/2" back from the edge of the hole. Then backfill this with epoxy putty and clean up the hole. This seals the wood.
There is a magazine called Proffesional Boat Builder that has some great info on this stuff. It is published by the same people who do Wooden Boat.

digitalMan
05-09-2001, 11:00 AM
jwright,
Can you post any additional information regarding that magazine? Do they have a web site, or phone number? It sounds like it could be a great resource.
Thanks,
digitalMan

digitalMan
05-09-2001, 11:16 AM
jwright,
Never mind, I found the web site. http://www.proboat.com for anybody else that's interested.
Thanks again,
digitalMan