PDA

View Full Version : 4 blade SS props

mikev
08-07-2001, 07:25 AM
is anyone running one of these or tried one out just wondering if there is any advantage for the extra $100 in price. also would I run the same pitch?

RickSE
08-07-2001, 11:40 AM
On a Classic??

I ran two Revolution-4 props last summer, 18-Classic. They're nice props but I don't think they work all that well with the Classic hulls. They do work well on boats with steps or boats that run the prop closer to the surface. The props I ran had a lot of bite, great acceleration but made me loose some top end speed. for your reference I went from a 19P/14" Dia. Vengence prop running 4800-4900 RPM's to a 21P/14 5/8?" Dia. Revolution-4 prop running 4100-4200 RPM's. Therefor 2" of pitch going from 3 to 4 blades I lost 700-800 RPM's or about 400 RPM's/1" Pitch. This is at the upper limit stated by Merc., which claims 200-400 RPM loss or gain per 1" Pitch.

BigGrizzly
08-07-2001, 08:12 PM
I loved the Revoluion 4 on my 22 Criterion, too bad they don't make one big enough for my new engine. Hey Mike get in touch with me we have a bunch of prope to try 4 blades included. My lake house is at War Hil park area. Get intouch. If you have a merc we can help.

Randy

mikev
08-08-2001, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the offer I live real close by (off369) I have a good SS prop now on my boat that works for my set up but this winter i was going to put a 4brl carb intake and 1.6 ratio rockers. this should bump the 4.3 v6 from 175 to about 230 hp so i will be looking to try some new props in january when I get the hp upgrades installed. it is a merc so i will give you a buzz when im ready to try some different props. may be i can take one of your extras off your hands. thanks again for the offer.

mike.

marcdups
08-08-2001, 06:56 PM
Mike, with thr rev 4 , tried and true the sixteen I have would not handle the lift from it, good out of the hole but otherwise I would stay from it, tried every plugs but I felt way too much lift and boat becomes scary, I have the 4.3 HO and speed was not the greatest either, sold the darn thing to a bass boater for $225.

Marc

my best prop is getting labbed :eek:

BigGrizzly
08-08-2001, 09:48 PM
sorry Marc everone whow tried that Rev 4 loved it. Everone picked up speed over the Marage plus. As for too much lift well then trim it down. Fact 1) the more lift the less hull is in the water less wetted surface and more potential speed. There are trade offs. More speed less stability. Fact 2) you have a rockrer hull that is the nature of the beast. At Eufala I will take you for a ride and show you what loose is really like.
Don't take this personally but I totally disagree with you on the Rev 4 It is one of the finest props that Merc makes. It needs less positive trim therefor hull and prop shaft are at closer angles and that is more effience.

Randy

marcdups
08-09-2001, 06:22 AM
Randy, you are most certainly correct I may have been over trimming the beast and it becoming very loose and also loosing speed, I am hoping to learn a bunch from you experts down in georgia, I will give it another shot and hope the small lake I boat at is not so crowded !!
Marc
:o :o