PDA

View Full Version : PYTHON BOATS

mikev
05-07-2001, 08:57 AM
Has anyone ever heard of these boats. I was driving home last night and come up behind a boat on a trailer and think thats a nice looking Classic. then I pass the guy and it says Python on the side. looked exactly like a 22 classic even the same windshield. I guys if you want to build a great boat you copy the best.

Ranman
05-07-2001, 03:02 PM
The two Pythons I've seen have been almost exactly alike. They were 18' jet boats (Berkeley pump), LH drive, 2+3 seating, open engine compartment with a big block (one had a Ford 460 with thru transom exhaust, the other has ??? engine with "upside down" Bassett headers). Neither had windshields. I suppose they look something like a Donzi classic. I think they were built in CA and I have heard pretty good reviews. The two I have seen were late 70's to mid 80's boats and both had a wild orange and yellow paint scheme that remind me of a Shell gas station. Hope this info is useful. Randy.

GEOO
05-07-2001, 03:16 PM
Python boat's are still being made in Georgia. The Viper is a copy of the 18 Donzi.
Hot Boat did an article (http://free.hotboat.net/tests/docs/Python_18_Vyper.htm) on an 18 with a Grimes Small Block Chevy 500hp hooked up to an Alpha SS. She ran in the mid 80's. GEOO

Len
05-07-2001, 04:37 PM
http://www.pythonboats.com/

Dr. Dan
05-07-2001, 04:53 PM
Len, thanks for creating the link, nice looking boats, the 18' definitely looks like a classic,very reasonable price too?...Doc

Jerry H. Eisele
05-07-2001, 05:12 PM
There's one for sale in hot boat now.It's an 18 with a small block.

Jerry

Len
05-07-2001, 05:29 PM
I think it is a bit evil to talk about these things (clones) on this site.... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 05-07-2001).]

BigGrizzly
05-07-2001, 08:44 PM
Mike, you live not 15 miles from the place they are built, I beleive its Holiday Road. they also make a ski boat and a bow rider. Jim Clark is the owner of the company. Gary Grimes builds the fast motors for them. there are several 100+ mph Pythons on that lake. Donzi did have a law suit against them, but don't know the outcome of it. Clark tried to sell me the hull he poped the mold off of. It was in the boat trader several years ago.

Randy

mikev
05-08-2001, 08:50 AM
i have seen a few just not one that looked like a classic Donzi. I have used Grimes for engine work before very good but expensive but you do get what you pay for when i comes to performance machine shop work.

MattM
05-08-2001, 09:37 AM
Jim makes no secret that the 18' was popped from an 18' 2+3. I was driving through Georgia a few years back killing a weekend while on business. I happened upon the place, stopped, and a couple hours later left with the 1970 18' hull he used for the plug. I bought it because it was beautiful, perfectly straight, no rot or delam. I also got a ride in that Grimes powered 18' of his, the one that's been advertised in Hot Boat, has alpha SS, and runs about 85. I was definately holding on the the seat. That's when I got an SS for mine.

BigGrizzly
05-08-2001, 11:29 PM
I will tell you one thing, after racing bikes, cars, and boats for over 30 years, Grimes is one of the only three people I have delt with that acctually do what they say and more. One example: My son takes heads to Grimes for a valve job and some other stuff on his quest for a 600hp 5.0 mustang. He gets it back and it has 40->60 more hp then when he brough it to them. We asked Gary Grimes what he changed ? He says with a grin "nothing (with a small grin)". His prices now are pretty average for good work. One more thing, he is one of the only shops around here that no one has any thing bad to say about. My hats off to Grimes Machine!

Randy

mikev
05-09-2001, 11:58 AM
I agree a good friend of mine had a 455 in his Trans Am that Gary built fastest car I ever rode in. I only remember him loosing a race once and that was to a vette with a blower sticking out of the hood.