PDA

View Full Version : 18' starting problems

Jeff Grifith
05-06-2001, 10:21 PM
1)Purchased a '79 18' 2+3 last year-- 260HP 350.Love at first sight--Donzi's the greatest.

Only one minor problem--- motor has slight problem starting--turn key and starter does not turn--cycle key on-off a 5-6 times-eventually the starter turns--and motor stars fine. Have replaced ignition sw as well as solenoid-- still same problem occurs--erratic operation of starter ( finally starts after cycling the key).I'm reluctant to repl starter unless I have to--
not sure if it can even be done withoput pulling engine. How tough's it getting the starter off and on again in the boat?? Any other tips.

RickR
05-07-2001, 09:45 AM
Check voltage to starter soloniod (key switch side) with a test light.

Some solonoids are grounded from their housing.

If the starter is bad you can save some $$$$$ by having it rebuilt at your local automotive alternator/starter rebuild shop.
If applicable/ make sure they replace the spark arrester screens and silicone the gap between the starter and solenoid.

I just saved a couple of hundred bucks by getting my diesel starter rebuilt instead or replaced.

It easier to get to the starter if you pull the exhaust manifold. DON'T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!

Madpoodle
Why do you prefer the hi-torque starter?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-07-2001).]

MarkG
05-07-2001, 11:57 AM
Jeff

You might what to check the neutral switch.
I had a similar problem on my Dads' boat.
It had a small switch on the Merc outdrive shift cable. If it doesn't start hold the key on & move the drive leaver forward & back slightly. If it starts the switch needs to be adjusted. Just my $0.02!!

MarkG

GeneD
05-08-2001, 07:26 AM
Is this motor a Mercruiser?
If so, it 'could' be the solenoid on top of the fuel filter assy. They often get water on them, and over time, stop working properly. Normally, you can hit the thing with the back of a screwdriver and it will work, but not too hard! It WILL break.
The neutral safety switch is a good place to start to de-bug this irritating situation.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida