PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I need some info ASAP!!! Ski Sporter

Len
05-06-2001, 06:22 PM
I have found today, with no Idea of where it came from, a "ski-sporter" of unkown origin or era. I want to first be sure if it is REAL!!! I don't find out the price until tomorrow. (Monday) Pictures will be posted in the next couple of hours if my photopoint still works. Okay, so here goes.

Boat is "about" 16' 7" long.

Has tons of hook aft

Inner lift strake STOPS about 54" from transom and other one runs right back.

Keel is rounded.

The gas tank has been lowered into hull and half of the Ski storage area is cut away. I assume this was to remove it without removing the deck.

I dont believe the deck has been off before as the bolts are very rusty and appear to be 3/16" thread with nuts on back. Is this correct?

Rub rail has no visible external fasteners to show how it is joined to hull perimeter. Do yours show screws?

The inner hull is painted in a poor grey finish.(gel-coat)

Underside of deck is not

The underside of deck is NOT done in a 3" balsa core type material but in what appears to be 1/4" plywood and glass. The interesting thing here is that there are 5 12"-14" circular "depressions" and visible compression areas whereas when this deck was in the mould the ply was placed into it and held down for bound with these 12-14" circular weighted objects. Has anyone else seen this before?

There are no initials or dates under deck and the dash has had many guage setups over time and is somewhat butchered behind to see where there ever could have been some.

The transom has been filled in the leg area and AGAIN http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif a CASALE V-drive and Glenwood parts are in place of what should be there. (an I/O)

Has what appears to be a car 350 in it and is a bit of a mess. It would have to go.

It has been painted, probably a few years ago and there are no remnants of decals or ID anywhere. Paint will have to go and the hull sanded and faired out a bit.

The upholstery is not original and has been done with plywood blocks screwed to the "tub" and the fabric directly fastened to it. All these would have to be filled.

All deck hardware is Junk from various suppliers. Rich could fix this problem for me.

Now, what I think is the good part. Under every conceivable piece or part or wrecked part is the light yellow gelcoat!!! I'm thinking here, if this was a knock-off, why would they go to the trouble of building in yellow? and as well, this is the first DONZI I have seen with the proper cockpit tub in place. Everyone else just cuts them away 6" down from deckline, running parrallel with the dash, and pops off these modified renditions as decks.

Steering, all-but a v-drive and a skeg/rudder is on the left and general layout is what I see everywhere in here.

What I want to do is throw away the 350/ Casale v-drive setup, get out the oven cleaner and take her to yellow gelcoat, remove hull and deck and "CHERRY HER", new 350/alpha combo, Bilt-Rite insides and proper hardware.

What would any of you in the land of DONZI's pay for a project like this? Keep in mind this is the first "REAL" one I have ever seen or am probably like to around here.

What year did they drop the yellow? and was this plywood under the deck ever done to anyones knowledge? Thanx in advance...Lenny
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1503108&a=11344532&p=47998667&f=0
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1503108&a=11344532&p=48000121&f=0

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 05-06-2001).]

harbormaster
05-06-2001, 07:09 PM
Walk away Lenny.

Calculate what it will cost in parts alone plus the price of the hull and it will be cheaper and faster to buy something already running. Do you want a boat to drive or to work on? Ask yourself that question.

If by chance you did get this boat, it is worth more in the V drive configuration than reconfiguring it. (my opinion)

Scot V

Len
05-06-2001, 08:14 PM
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

boxy
05-07-2001, 08:51 AM
Lenny, when you get a price, drop me a line. There is a 16 for sale in our BoatTrader this week, along with a 1000 hp 33 Crossbow, a 20 Cigarette, and John D May's sweet Z25. Quite the week for Eastern Ontario. If anybody is looking a bigger project, there is a theft recovered 35 Fountain for sale for $40,000 Canadian, no power, no drives.
Later

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

EricG
05-07-2001, 10:31 AM
Len,

I definitely see Scot's point about the cost, but if you can confirm that it's a real Donzi, you've definitely shown through your posts that you've got quite a bit of knowledge about how boats are put together, so you may be the perfect candidate for this kind of a project. I did a restore of a '69 Century Resorter about 5 years ago.
Did I lose money? Yes.
Did it take longer than I planned? Yes.
Did I get frustrated? Yes.
Would I do it again? No.
Do I regret it? No way! Until I sold it (because of the ride...) That boat was probably the biggest source of pride I've ever had.

Good luck!!

EG

Len
05-07-2001, 05:10 PM
THE "DONZO" is real!!! Every conceivable place, scratches, bottom of dash area, below the cleat holes, storage locker perimeter glass, inner sealing trough around the engine hatch, inside edges of all glasswork are PALE YELLOW!!!below all the paint. I have contacted the place selling it and it is on consignment. They won't give me the owners number tho. I have about 1000 questions for him. The trailer is homebuilt, absolute garbage, the boat has a few stress cracks along the upper lift stake, and modifications abound within the cockpit sole for the V-drive, (access is through the storage locker to right of driver on floor) I really want to take a small knife to the center deck and find the white/black stripe but I think this would be pushing it a bit. I have been told that it is a "1975 DONZO" and is listed as such. I questioned the DONZO part and said you mean Donzi, but...I was told I was wrong and that it was a "DONZO"... When it got the "V-drive" is a mystery to me. Need to talk to the owner somehow.

Here's the funny part...He wants $8500 Can (about $5500 US) for it. I think it is worth about $2000 US from all that I see here and maybe spend too much and give him $3000US. You can see that we have a ways to go on this one. In any event, I want to track its' whereabouts when sold so I can keep an eye on it. I don't think anyone is going to enjoy the v-drive and no tranny for long. I am going to offer him three Grand and see if I can get his interest.

Here's the funny part. It is from a place locally known as Prospect Lake. It is about a 2000'long oval lake (residential waterfront)the shoreline of which is high, high glacier cut rock faces with one launch. I doubt this thing ever even got on a plane while owned by this gent. You probably couldn't run full throttle for more than 2 seconds before turning the circle again. Keep ya posted. Maybe I can trade a new kitchen for it...

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 05-07-2001).]

Looped
05-08-2001, 07:00 AM
Len,
If it’s a 75 wouldn’t it have the HIN’s on it (kind of a borderline year)? If it does, have you checked the Donzi Reg to see if they jive with other 16’s in that year’s range?

Craig

Len
05-08-2001, 08:46 AM
Craig, hull ID's I believe should be riveted behind center of rear seat area, (foil tag). The upholstery is permanent at this point so I can't look behind the area but with all this has been through I really don't think the tag would have survived. There is NO FELT PEN #'s behind dash or under deck. I think these markings were early day stuff. (I think BROWNIE said that). Well another day is here and today I am able to talk to someone who knows about the boat...apparently. Talk to ya soon! Wish I was within at least a couple thousand miles so as to go to the AOTH. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 05-08-2001).]

Looped
05-08-2001, 09:34 AM
Len,
I know all too well about the mystery felt pen thing. Donzi must have used a felt pen without any ink on my 67 Classic. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif

Craig

Forrest
05-08-2001, 09:54 AM
A 1975 should have the HIN molded into the transom.

------------------
Forrest

Len
05-08-2001, 01:40 PM
Thanks forrest,...and oh...why is it not there as the hull has not been ground? Starting to get distressed again. Talked to "in the know salesman today" again and he told me the Casale V-drive and Glenwood parts were all original and again that in fact it is a DONZO. I didn't even bother at this point. I can tell this is going to go sour. I don't care. I would rather a non-painted hull.

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 05-08-2001).]