PDA

View Full Version : World's Most Expensive.....

Tom on Lanier
05-05-2001, 09:51 PM
So Varyak - just out of curiousity, do you know who has the highest priced 18 Classic now and how it is equipped?

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Varyak
05-06-2001, 10:34 AM
Tom,
I got an nice e-mail from Bill Kalinowski, who lives on Lake St.Clair, asking me some questions about his boat - 2001 Classic 18 with the Scorpion package. Knowing what that cost him retail, I believe he is the hands down winner, although I believe I'm still a good distance above a crowded 3rd place. I have added the new "top-secret" prop and the Bimini is now convertible to a dodger. Driving at high seed in the driving rain is painfull. My 18 may no longer be the world's most expensive, but it is definitely the driest ride during the rain, and shadiest in the hot summer of Florida. I'm bringing it all with me to AOTH.
Darn it though, now Bill has me thinking I need to step up to the full Scorpion package myself. Well, the Ferrari can wait another year.
Mark

BERTRAM BOY
05-06-2001, 12:15 PM
Well,
I can fully attest to the "coolness" (pun intended), of a Donzi with a bimini top. I'll have to admit, when Mark pulled into Sanford with his boat, I said to myself," what the h*ll is this guy doing with a bimini top on a Donzi?" After one ride in the hot Florida sun , I'm a true believer.....
BERTRAM BOY

RedDog
05-06-2001, 05:43 PM
I've been biting my tongue on this discussion for sometime. I'm convinced Genuine Trouble tops all 18 Classics for cost. Once I agreed on a price/deal with Rick, the real cost began to mount - options the Boss insisted on included:

Kitchen cabinets
Ceramic tile
Garden window
Interior/Exterior wall removal
Pella door
Light fixtures
Counter tops
Screened porch
etc....

Options every Classic needs http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif!

------------------
Reddog
mailto:tsfloyd@bigfoot.comtsfloyd@bigfoot.com</A>

Varyak
05-06-2001, 08:30 PM
I realize I'm treading on thin ice with the Donzi purists in the group, but before you snicker at the Bimini, try it in your head a while. Drive in the rain at speed with me when the clear plastic dodger is on the front. Yes, all that windage limits the boat speed to about 50mph to keep it safely attached, but then what other boat with a Bimini and Dodger will run at 50 mph all day even in bad weather? And it all folds away so neatly. Tucks right inside the curve of the front grab bar and ahead of the dash. And it keeps the ugly wind from buffeting the cockpit cover when I'm towing. No need to strip the boat out when I tow.
Then again, it's all a matter of taste. I drive a heavily customized and modified Porsche 356 as well. Those purists cringe when I show up, but the 356 Outlaw crowd all love it. Stock or custom. My boat, my money, my needs and desires.
I'm certain the '66 GTO convertible I'm having customized to match the Donzi as it's future tow vehicle will have the Goat purists moaning, but the the Donzi crowd will react differently to the matched set.
Whatever floats your boat. Art is never perfect to all eyes. Sort of like the Classic Donzi in the club with a Diesel motor. It's just part of the cornucopia of boats in this club that makes it so much fun. Nary two boats alike.
Mark

Emmo
05-12-2001, 06:12 PM
I don't know exactly how much he has in it, but Gene Jackson at Wheel & Rudder Marine (http://www.volvopentaparts.com) has an old 18 with nickle plating on every metal piece including the retractable ski rope mechanism.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

GeneD
05-12-2001, 08:01 PM
All this talk, and not one mention of money for the world's most expensive...
By the way, I think the most coolest version of the Bimini is the Sunbrella thingy.
Gerry Santiago has it on his Top Gun, and it is really COOL! In more ways than one!
------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 05-12-2001).]

wbateman
05-14-2001, 05:32 PM
Reddog,
How come we didn't see all those options at Cumberland????

JimG205
05-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Hey guys!!! Let's see some pix of the tops and let everyone decide.I think i'd want one.Jim G.

Varyak
05-14-2001, 08:55 PM
Just back from AOTH late tonight and happened on the updates on this thread. I put up the Bimini and the windscreen Saturday morning at the AOTH dock to show all the nay-sayers what it looks like. A quiet gasp from the faithful, then a lot of approval from everyone. Madpoodle did a testimonial from the rainy day we had at the Sanford event, and most Deep South Donzi guys thought it was a darned good idea. Lots of pictures taken by eveyone (except me). Search the AOTH photo attachments on the other threads and you will find a shot or two of the new top. It was a one-off built by my very local top-shop. If you want more info, e-mail me at Varyak@aol.com. I cannot supply pictures because I can't scan any in, even if I had them.
Mark