PDA

View Full Version : A Grand Gathering!!

Tony
07-16-2001, 10:02 PM
Well, over the weekend Chris Riley and I had the world's smallest Donzi gathering...but it was outstanding! Chris was a superb host, leading us around the beautiful Les Cheneaux Islands in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and narrating fascinating stories of the history of the area, what famous people live where (Proctor & Gamble, Armour Hot Dog, Julie Andrews, Chicago gangsters, etc.), pointing out the wildest party spots when he was in high school, and recalling how the hottest chick in the area turned out to be a lesbian!

A boat-soda party on a sandbar resulted in some nice sunburns and was complete with a "Les Cheneaux pontoon"...a 1918 lifeboat salvaged from the Tennessee River that ferried two families, gear, and a bolt-on SS grill! Saturday was capped with a great cheeseburger, a grand sunset over the Straits of Mackinaw and, I hear, Chris Riley winning a four boat race from Hessel to Cedarville very late at night.

Sunday was spent with my son video taping my boat on the run from Chris's 18' Classic, and taking turns shooting pictures of each other doing "fly-bys". His 18 has a very sharp looking deep blue stripe and trim, and is waxed/maintained to the max. BTW, he speaks of it being for sale...although I think he is nuts for considering it!

Here are a couple of pictures...not many because, like Chris says, pictures just do not do this area justice. You must see it to believe it! We were not deterred by the size of this outing, and will be planning another gathering next summer. Hopefully the Midwest/Georgian Bay/Canada people will be able to appreciate this area firsthand next time. Thanks a ton to Chris and his outstanding hospitality...from Tony, Cherrie, Tyler, and William!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer01.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer02.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer03.jpg

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 07-16-2001).]

Tony
07-16-2001, 10:13 PM
Sorry for the large shots...but with MGI PhotoSuite when I resize a shot it really loses clarity. What's up with that I wonder?

boldts
07-16-2001, 10:40 PM
Tony,
Thanks for the pictures and narration of the weekends events. I can't believe I missed Chris's dark blue and white 18' Classic. That must be what my 18 looked like when it rolled out of the factory back in 1969. Both of you have sensational examples of Donzi boats. I really want to get up there and check out that boating area.

Scott Boldt

Formula Jr
07-16-2001, 10:42 PM
72 Pixs per inch is what computer screens do. You can resize the viewing X and Y to fit the screen and then scale the pic to fit. Then do a resolution scaling to get 72 PPI, thousands of colors- you don't need millions of colors. There's a ton of good free jpg editors out there.......

Riley
07-17-2001, 07:10 AM
Tony, wow, thanks for all of the kind words! It was my pleasure hanging out with you this weekend, and I'm really happy you and your gang made the trip North. It would have been fun to share our weekend with a few more Donzi's, but hey, I don't think we could have had a much better boating day than we did on Saturday! I can honestly say that was one of the most fun days I've had on the water in the past several years.

Also, it was truly a pleasure to meet 2 such polite young men as Tyler and William, and I enjoyed having them in my boat for the weekend. They are good kids!

Now, for any of you guys out there that haven't seen Tony do a fly-by, you've "missed the boat". Watching the little red Donzi dancing on the V while that Ford engine is winding up well over 5 grand is quite a spectacle. Tony, I want to see that video next time you're up!

Hey, I just counted on the calendar, and there are 7 more weekends left in the summer of 2001. Tony, if you, Cherrie, and the boys want to do it again later yet this summer, give me a call. The invitation is always open. Thanks Again, Chris

GEOO
07-17-2001, 05:23 PM
Tony,
Thanks for the photo's. Anytime you get more then one Donzi together it's a special moment!!!! GEOO

jwright
07-17-2001, 09:48 PM
Looks like it was great time. I was up there a few years ago and it was fun, but a little local knowledge would have helped... hard to read the chart at 50 mph!
I would have been there, but had to watch the Unlimited Hydro's in Detoit! But that red boat of Tony's looks like the same shade of red as Miss Budweiser.... all you need is an Arneson for the roostertail!

Formula Jr
07-17-2001, 10:25 PM
Tony, I tryed for the better part of two hours to resize that photo with no luck---- I'm stumped... Great photo anyway.... looks like fun!