PDA

View Full Version : Blackwidow.... 1990 Hull#2

Bryan Tuvell
05-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Wow, another surprise on the water, we went down to Currituck County on the boat today, and bam! There is that unmistakable "yellow" of a vintage Donzi coming at us...
1990, 24' Blackwidow, original owner, HULL#2, OMC BB, 62MPH boat,,,,mint!!! I of course had to take a looksee... the cuddy was a velvet like fabric, big cuddy, the extra 2 feet sure made a difference in cuddy room. The owner new the whole history of Donzi Blackwidows, it was great to listen to his stories.

Just FYI since one of the board members here is secretly looking for a Blackwidow.

The guy did say it had been stored for a long time due to a divorce! Maybe he will sell out! He beaches up regularly where we were today... I will ask him if a sale is possible next time...
I did turn him onto this website. He had never heard of it!!!
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-05-2001).]

BigGrizzly
05-05-2001, 04:12 PM
Bryan, there is no yellow Black Widdows. Why do you think they called them BLACK Widows. Your drinking too much boat soda. A real Black Widow will blow your boat away. It came stock With twin 460 King Cobras and is 29' 11' long, not 24 feet and was a 1989 boat.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-05-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
05-05-2001, 04:19 PM
Randy, do you try to get under ones skin on pupose? You know this is what the guy told me, and he did say it was the first yellow one! Do you have an inventory of all their colors? All I know is what he told me and what I saw. I am sure twinn BB's would blow me away, I could care less. I like fun and don't mind coming is second.

Anyway, the interior matched etc. It was built yellow. Or at least in my mind.

Not sure why is said blackwidow on the side then,,, guy must have had that made and stuck on there, ya think?

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
05-05-2001, 05:12 PM
Just to set the record straight for those of you that save speed posts from the past!

After receiving an EMAIL form Randy about a post of mine from last year that I hit 69/70 in the 22ZX. This season I am at 65.3 GPS 65/66 on speedo with a full load. Different prop etc from last year...

Not to be anal but thought I would clear the air before the hand shaking starts. I am an honest person and a fairly new boater, so...
I HAVE BEEN HUMBLED! Thanks.... Not!
Bryan

BigGrizzly
05-05-2001, 06:01 PM
I,m Looking at the catalogue as I write this and it is a 1989. It also says BLACKWIDOW in a sort of red script right in front of the DONZI logo . If someone else has a newer one with different information, please let me know. I love Donzis and can't get enough information on them. I want to be accurate on the models. This may become history somday. Did you get a picture?

Randy

Jerry H. Eisele
05-05-2001, 06:55 PM
If someone is looking for a black widow, check out trader online. Someone has one for sale in Clevland

Jerry

BigGrizzly
05-05-2001, 08:24 PM
I stand CORRECTED. I found a 1990 catalogue that has a 24 BLACK Widow. A friend told me they were off shoots of the Z series trying to get sales off the 30 Blackwidow. from 1989. Demographics wanted a smaller less expensive boat. Funny the Classics were still the favored boat by the public.
Question-- the Classics seem to be the boat that seems to survive, when every thing else passes by. No responce needed, I think I know the answer, especially from the support from people on this board. That is why they call them CLASSICS

Randy

Tom on Lanier
05-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Bandit's 1989 Black Widow 30' is red - For whatever that's worth. Original? - don't know. I think he is at "The Lake" this weekend. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Bryan Tuvell
05-05-2001, 09:14 PM
Yep, BANDIT has a sweet rig, seen all his pic's.
Just searched www.boattrader.com (http://www.boattrader.com) for blackwidows.
2 listed, one for 40K one for 38K. One YELLOW (GA), and one RED (MI).

They sure have held their value, and some, now I see my BB friends interest in owning one, or should I say add to his collection of Donzi's. I hear Donzi only produced a certain number of them and that is why they are rare.
Bryan

CDMA
05-05-2001, 09:18 PM
Bryan got your revenge...glad to see it

Bryan Tuvell
05-05-2001, 10:14 PM
Thanks, not looking for revenge though,, Donzi has only been in my life the last 2 years, so I am no expert on history, I just try to read, listen and learn...

I wish I had been around in the old days... now I know why there are so many Donzi die hards... I respect that.
Bryan

boldts
05-05-2001, 11:32 PM
Thought I'd throw in a couple cents. Back in 89 when the 30' Black Widow was announced, Donzi used Kyle Petty from the Nascar Pettys to introduce the boat for them. It was in fact a black boat with a lime green accent to go with Kyle's Mello Yellow Nascar race sponsor. The boat even had the words Mello Yellow on the sides. My point here is, even though I know this about the introduction of the model, if you had asked me if there was a 24' Black Widow in 1990 and the colors available, I wouldn't have a clue. The difference though, instead of telling someone they had no idea what they were talking about even after they had acquired the information from the boat owner, I'd have done my own research first. Everyone who frequents this board has some Donzi knowledge of some sort. For a lot of you, and the reason I enjoy this site so much, it is your Donzi History, stories you tell of past adventures, and your experience with restoring Donzi boats. Maybe Grizzly just had a bad day, understandable, I know has I prepare to meet all of you and have my little Classic looking as best I can, my day was not the greatest. I sure am liking the shine on the deck as I was able to get the top of the boat polished. Tomorrow is a new day and after thanking the Lord for all I've been given, I'll tackle the Donzi again with a smile from ear to ear. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Thanks everyone for all the knowledge you have shared with me. I'm looking forward to seeing a tremendous Donzi family next weekend. Lets remember we are the ones who keep Donzi Marine in business no matter what model Donzi we choose to own. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
05-06-2001, 07:12 AM
No harm done in my eyes. The problem with written correspondence is it can be taken the wrong way.

I look forward to meeting everyone next week.
Bryan

Bandit
05-07-2001, 09:49 AM
Your right Tom, just got back from a derby party on "The Lake". I hit $170 on Monarchos!!!

I've got the 1989 29'11'' Black Widow and it's original color is red/white. There's actually 3 of them on Lake Cumberland and 2 of us will be at AOTH, both red. The other one was docked at Grider Hill and it's yellow.

Mine's for sale, so bring an empty hitch and 30k to AOTH and you can take it home with you.

LAKE UPDATE:

We finally got the rain we've been needing. It looks like possible showers the next couple days.

The water has warmed up some this past week so it feels pretty good on a hot sunny day.
There's still lots of logs, etc. in the water which is normal for this time of year.

I talked to Frieda today and she's trying to keep all of us together which will be on the back side of the fuel pier. If you're just coming in to tie up for awhile, goto the right of the fuel pier on the front side.

See ya soon.

------------------
Bandit...

Forrest
05-07-2001, 11:30 AM
Currituck County, NC. Wow! Where did you put in? Pungo Bridge Marina? That's a great place for boating, just watch out for shallow water. I use to like running down towards Coinjock, NC on the ICWW. Not too much farther from there to Mr. Fountain's shop.

. . . and don't be messin' with The Grizzz, he's usually right! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-07-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
05-07-2001, 12:07 PM
FORREST (sorry for the wrong name... that person was on my mind at the minute, forgive me!), we launched from Centerville Marin, 2 drawbridges east of Pungo Ferry beach, we beach there allot, it is my sons favorite water hole to play in the sand.
I turned the guy onto this site, I don't think he was into computers, nice fellow though. So he was second Donzi I have ran into on the ICWW this year. From STUNGAGAINS house I saw what looked like a runabout Donzi, maybe an 18' but we were on land so we didn't get to talk.

It sure seems you have one heck of a memory about your old stomping grounds. We first ran into the black widow guy at marker 99, so we were fairly far south. That area, Abermarle sound, is easier and shorter ride for the kids then heading to the bay everytime. You never did give me your friends info so I could look him up.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-07-2001).]

Forrest
05-07-2001, 02:35 PM
Sorry Bryan, I'll get that info to you.

------------------
Forrest

Bandit
05-07-2001, 03:54 PM
There's a nice looking 24' yellow/white 1990 Black Widow on www.traderonline.com (http://www.traderonline.com) for 19k if you happen to be on the west coast.

------------------
Bandit...

Bryan Tuvell
05-07-2001, 04:28 PM
Forrest, got your email... After the AOTH I will look him up (and corrected my post, my mind was tied up I guess!)

I hope you visit soon, your advice on glass work was the best FREE piece of advice I ever got! Thank you. Did I send you a pic of the work?

Our house is always open to Donzi folks, so bring it on.... See ya soon. Bryan

bosshoss
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
The Black Widow was made in two lengths, 24' and 30'. The 24' is a single engine, while the 30' is a twin engine. The Black Widow was available in red, black, yellow, and green.

joseph m. hahnl
02-25-2006, 04:04 PM
I stand CORRECTED. I found a 1990 catalogue that has a 24 BLACK Widow. the Classics were still the favored boat by the public.
Question-- the Classics seem to be the boat that seems to survive, when every thing else passes by. No responce needed, I think I know the answer, especially from the support from people on this board. That is why they call them CLASSICS

Randy

glad you cleared the air on that one.There's a 24 black widow at granite state boats NH. OH and IT's :RED".

The reason classics have remained is? GEO's 18:propeller

boldts
02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Wow, you all really dug into the archives for this one. I remember arriving at AOTH that year and wondering if I'd have to break up a major altercation on the docks between Bryan and Randy. They got together, met and talked to one another and have been friends ever since. Just goes to show, writing isn't like talking in person. I too have been told by Big Grizzly I didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He was right in my case. I was trying to compare Apples to Oranges instead of Apples to Apples. I consider Randy to be one of my best friends in the Donzi community. He has helped me on many occasions over the last 5 years.

Boss - I didn't know the Widow was also done in green. I've never seen one in green. All the information available here helps all of us learn and expand our knowledge to pass on to others who wonder on to the website. It's what makes this website a daily view and such a special place for me.

Ya know, Bryan has bought 2 other Donzi ZXs since the start of this post, but last I saw, David Hicks still has that 30' Black Widow that he posted for sale. He has been doing upgrades and the boat is beautiful! I got to do the Lake Cumberland Poker Run with David and throughly enjoyed that day on his Widow. My first poker run and done on a Donzi. Life doesn't get any better!

boldts
02-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Yep, all 5'6" of me wouldn't have been much of a deterant would it? LOL Sure glad I didn't need help in that department at the gathering. :smile:

joel3078
02-27-2006, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=boldts]Boss - I didn't know the Widow was also done in green. I've never seen one in green. All the information available here helps all of us learn and expand our knowledge to pass on to others who wonder on to the website. It's what makes this website a daily view and such a special place for me.QUOTE]

The green ones were really teal. See attached pic.

boldts
02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Yep, I've seen teal before. Forgot that was a shade of green. I was thinking more along the lines of a Forest Green. Cool stuff and the Widow is just another one of the Donzi Models I like. I'd really like a Spitfire in White and Blue. Not right now though. Maybe a few years down the road.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Scott, I'm shocked! Isn't your boat teal? Now if you're color blind, I'll give you a break. Then again, I have never seen your boat. Hopefully I will see the two of you at AOTH this year!

There was a teal/white 24' widow for sale on ebay last summer with a 460 KC. Don't know if it sold, but looked to be in really nice shape.