PDA

View Full Version : bass boats

mikev
08-06-2001, 11:22 AM
my buddy claims his 18' bass boat with a 150hp outboard will run 73mph. im thinking maybe 60 his speedo only registers 55 he says a buddy with gps tracked him. what do you all think is this possible, or is he full of s*&t?

RickR
08-06-2001, 11:53 AM
Mabe if it's a Bullett, Norris Craft, or Allison wo/trolling motor or batteries..
No way if it's a Ranger.

mikev
08-06-2001, 12:08 PM
its a skeeter loaded out with a jack plate.

marcdups
08-06-2001, 07:07 PM
Mike, these boats are my nightmare, yes today they are all built to run the fastest possible and I do not doubt that he is running that speed, yamaha is maybe if not certainly the strongest motor out there today ( sorry merc ) and they build the boat so I do not doubt it, what model engine does he have ?? trp or not and what gear ratio ?

Marc

Have you ever seen a bass at 70 + miles an hour ?? fast damn fish if you ask me!!!!! :eek:

BigGrizzly
08-06-2001, 08:39 PM
Mikev, I live on that lake and I have not seen one that fast--real speed-- with a 150 Merc or Yamaha. Two years ago I beat a similar one with my slow boat. when I stopped he came up an told me I must have been doing 80 when I passed him. I aggreed and my little boy sad "Dad the GPS said 65.7" I told my boy to be quiet this was fisherman's talk, read that B.S. BTW there are some really fast O.B,son this lake A couple of RapidCrafts with hot merc's a few fast allison's and a couple of Tritons. Some are 90 mph plus, but not on saturday or sundays on south lake Lanier . Any way your close, maby we could get together, and get Tomahawk , Joe P and Bill B.

Randy

Looped
08-06-2001, 08:58 PM
On Speedvision a few months ago they had this Triton on one of there boat testing shows:

http://tritonboats.com/boatpics/tr22pdcmain.jpg

They were testing it with a handheld GPS and they got deep into the 80’s for speed. Not bad with a 300hp Mercury.

Craig

Tomahawk
08-06-2001, 09:50 PM
I have been on an 18 ft. Skeeter with a Yamaha 150. It barely made it to 60 mph on GPS. I know some of these bass boats will run but they go ring-a-ding,ding,ding, smoke, smoke, pollute,pollute - more gas please. BTW, I just got back from the Bass Masters Classic yesterday. Gave them a look at the future. :D

Classic Razorback
08-06-2001, 10:38 PM
I would have to call BS on that one.
You need a 200HP or better,seems
like to me to give me a run in my 22.

Is it just me or do fishermen not wave at you guys either, I always thought my 502 w/thru-hull exhaust would just vibrate those big fish that are down deep, up near the shore where those guys are always fishin?

I really don't think they know I'm just trying to help, thats me

Helpful Chris
:D

roadtrip se
08-06-2001, 10:47 PM
This is big mouth bass country down here in Texas and the faithful are in constant pursuit of the prize. Me? I'd rather wet my line down on the coast and go after the big ones. Maybe I've missed my calling by not running in the SKA over on the east coast.
Any way, there is a big difference in running at any sort of speed in a bass boat and doing the same thing in a Donzi. I can see why they might exagerate their top end, after the white knuckling they experience to see any speed at all. Heck, last time I was on one, I saw Elvis and the dock felt really good under foot when it was all over.
Finally, most don't have the power or the guts to run anywhere near what we can in Donzis. Besides the occasional Allison, which I put in the Chuck Yeager class of boating, we can pretty much walk away from our fishin' buddies....

Moody Blu'
08-07-2001, 01:06 AM
I think a couple of you guys put it lightly but Im gonna be blunt.

I wanna see a bass boat keep up with a donzi in 4ft seas.
In less than 10 seconds that bass boat will be upside down.
But thats just my opinion. :cool:

Tomahawk
08-07-2001, 06:00 AM
Scott -probably about 2:1 but I can check it out when I get to the office this morning and get back to you.

mikev
08-07-2001, 07:06 AM
It is a Vmax Yamaha. I didnt hink it would run that fast I pulled it up on the net with boat and motor only weighs 1800lbs know wonder its quicker than mine. I still blow past him in the rough stuff though.

Tomahawk
08-07-2001, 03:44 PM
Scott - The 200 HPDI gearset is 14:26 or 1:1.86