PDA

View Full Version : 454 Mag MPI Hop Up...

Woodsy
08-06-2001, 08:10 AM
Anybody have any suggestions on hopping up my '97 454 Mag MPI? The current budgeted upgrades, approved by the finance committee are as follows: K&N filter, Corsa Q & Q (non switchable), new exhaust manifolds (probably stainless marine if they will work with the Corsa system?) , I live in Nh so no switchable exhaust. But what else is there?? Maybe a set of aluminum heads? Can the stock ECU handle these mods or does it need to be reprogrammed? Does anybody know who does this reprogramming? Thanks for the help guys!!

Dave

TORYSMINX
08-06-2001, 11:32 AM
Hi Dave

K&N filter- I have one and they are great and actually improve the airflow. Believe it or not I got another 1-1.5 mph out of it. WOrth there weight in gold

Stainless marine- I just recieved my manifolds and let me tell you the quality is there plus everything matches up nicely. The ports are larger and the tig welds are flawless.

Heads- You may want to check into Brondix or Merlin heads I have heard good things about them. I actually would stay with Iron becuase of the acid rain and saltwater use that we use the boats in. If you fresh water cooled this I think it would be a good idea if the decision was made to run alum heads.

ECU- I think you would have to consult a mercruiser tech to see if you could reprogram the ECU or set it at a different air fuel ratio. you maybe able to get away with the stock injectors. <Shrug>

Prop- I think you would benifit from a spinelli bros prop. I have one and they really shine when you give them the exact specs on the boat.

I know other members will have better detailed information. Just my 2 cents

Good luck

Tory

BigGrizzly
08-06-2001, 08:54 PM
Threr are tuns of stuff amd ecu's available. that computer is really simple. cams and such. It just takes cubic dollars. If the motor has 200 hours it need a complete rebuild befor putting som real ponies in it . It could be cheaper to buy a 502. The other question how fast do ypu want to go? Maybe a prop is the best place to start.

Randy

Formula Jr
08-06-2001, 09:05 PM
If you want to go cheap with a K & N , I'll sell ya one for 25 bucks + post. Can't use it - not enough clearance. It has a couple small holes in the CGA filter which I patched with high temp sealer, not too noticeable. Can send pics thru e-mail if ya want.

Classic Razorback
08-06-2001, 09:43 PM
If he is not interested in that air filter I am.
Just let me know.

chris :eek:

Formula Jr
08-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Classic, I'm try'en to help this fella out. Now if he say's to the wife - But Honey! I shopped around and got 75% off list price and it fits perfectly...... well......that is something any woman understands and can get behind.

Buy the by. Out of all these registered boats, there is not one registered to a female only. I know how to freaken sew, you would think there was a woman out there that liked airtime in a powerboat enough to buy one herself.

Moody Blu'
08-07-2001, 12:51 AM
are these k&n filters uscg approved?
Do they flow better than just a straight flame arrestor?? My flame arrestor seems pretty AIRY if you get my drift.

Woodsy
08-07-2001, 07:01 AM
Fromula,

Ya I am interested in that K & N!! please send the pix to dwood@mediaone.net As far as the holes goes, if they are not to noticeable, I am not too picky.

Speedwise, I want to get my boat into the mid 70's. I will need to be able to keep up with some friends and thier new 496 Mag HO. My motor currently has about 56 hours on it. I was thinking long term wise, a few minor upgrades to this motor, exhaust, computer, air filter etc.. that wouldn't break the bank for big upgrade of raising the X-dim and maybe an Arneson or a blackhawk...

What do you guys think??

Dave

PS: Fasteddie, I talked to your guy up in NY, and he was very interesting.... :D

BigGrizzly
08-07-2001, 08:20 PM
Sorry Owen Look at the John & Kathy S. She had her own 16 Donzi and has her own air time. John told me at the Portifino she has a real need for speed. Look at my wife, she drives my Criterion- with out me on board.

Randy

Formula Jr
08-08-2001, 12:33 AM
Griz, I know you are a smart person and all, but in this case you missed the whole freaken point. There are no SINGLE women registering their boats here. ;)

Formula Jr
08-08-2001, 11:37 AM
Ouch!!!!!!! :D