PDA

View Full Version : 1997 16 Classic w/ 5.7... just a few questions...

jaroot
05-04-2001, 08:42 PM
I own a 97 16 classic with a 5.7 2V & Alpha. Figured someone here would know what this motor puts out (215 or so???) and what kind of performance i can get out of it. i'm spinning a 19P Vengance right now that needs a little work since the previous owner must have gotten into some shallow sandy gravel with it. i can tach out about 44 to 4500 planed and trimmed on flat to small chop, speedo reading mid 50's, which is respectable. I was considering a Mirage+ but i would like to swap to a 4V setup and don't know if i'll need to step up to a 21 P. With the 2V she's a little doggy out of the hole, especially if you are pullin someone on a rope out of the water, pretty sure the addition of some secondaries would cure this. Just wondered if it is worth putting an edelbrock performer and a 600 holley or rochester on her without going into the valvetrain and ignition. Havn't popped a valve cover to see what kind of compressed height i can get on the springs but i was gonna swap the stock 1.5 ratio rockers for a set of 1.6's to get a bit more lift out of it, this should help with torque due to short duration and lack of overlap i am fairly sure this cam probably has, would help port velocities and scavenging i reckon. Does anyone have the specs on the cam in this motor (duration and lift?) I'd like to do roller rockers BUT those short valve covers sort of prohibit that and tall ones just won't fit as we all know. I assume this motor has a flat tappet cam and not the roller that was offered in the 4V and magnum versions. If anyone out there has some good insight they would like to share fire away... i'm open to suggestions and hearing bout what you guys have done in the past and seen for results.. this summer i don't quite think i'm ready to pop the motor out of a 4 year old boat... so i think the camshaft will wait... besides... that has to be a job in itself with this thing and i've taken some motors out of some challenging boats in the past... this one doesn't look so fun. Have fun on the water eh...

Root

BigGrizzly
05-04-2001, 10:01 PM
You can usestamped roolers from Com cams they don take up any more space than stock. this will save valve guide wear but in stovk ratio will not give any proformance advantage. You should have a roller cam in that motor, no faster just nicer to have. Small four barrel and manifold will help. Don't go more than 600 cfm. That motor should pull a 21p prop. The marage plus is a good choice. If you pull a skier it will be doggie. I worked on my Corsican for years before I found the right combo to do it all. Prop it first, its the cheapest way.

Randy

harbormaster
05-04-2001, 10:20 PM
Put a supercharger on it!

jaroot
05-07-2001, 07:56 AM
Well after cleaning the living beegeezus out of the old girl over the weekend i got to lookin under the hatch... not a lot of headroom above that 2V as it is... makes me wonder if an edelbrock performer and a holley will fit.. well not so much the manifold and carb but whether i'll be able to get an aircleaner or flame retarder on top of it all... i'm sure this has been done before... just want to make sure before i go buying stuff...

thanks

Sam
05-07-2001, 09:06 PM
I have a 1996 with a fresh 5.7 two barrel, Alpha drive and a clean 19" Vengence. I run a solid 4600 rpm and 54-55 mph (gps). I haven't tried a 21 " but I sure would like to. You should consider coming over to Metro Beach on June 2nd for the S.E. Michigan gathering. I think there are six or so boats confirmed with a few yet to.

Sam

jaroot
05-08-2001, 07:37 AM
Exhaust is stock mercruiser with stainless insert elbows and 4 inch thru hulls w/ mufflers... the intake arrived last night (performer) and i have a freshly tweaked holley to put on it... so we'll see how it all goes sometime this week. Will probably take me a week or so to get it all tuned playing with jets and power valves and accelerator pumps and cams and secondary springs and discharge nozzles... only issue i have is trying to fit my K&N flame retarder on top of it all... but why sweat the small stuff eh. the boat is a 1997 but the 350 has nonvortec heads... so it is a 1995 motor or so (canted center bolts in intake)... don't know exactly when merc changed over but the owners manual that came with the boat is copyright 1998 and lists the motor at 250... not sure if this is correct or not... anyway, i'll let everyone know how it goes in case anyone else wants to do this in the future...

Give me the info on the SE Michigan outing too if you would, i've never had this boat out on big water, although when i worked at Toledo Beach Marina for a few years in the early 90's there were some crazy guys with some 16's and 18's built fairly stout that would wreak havoc on lake erie.. i mostly just stay on smaller lakes in the irish hills.

Thanks for the help eh

Sam
05-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Check the " S.E. Michigan Get Together" topic near the bottom of this page. If the weather is good it will be loads of fun. If you want to talk more about it e-mail me at sam@mackellar.com.

Sam