PDA

View Full Version : Jamesbon - Pics

Jamesbon
05-04-2001, 05:01 PM
Fellas,
So far so good! The deck is 95% unattached from the hull. I have a couple rusted screws still holding her on, but shouldn't be anything the old die grinder can't get. I think there's a couple "fiberglass tabs" in/under the bow which I'll have to cut as well. (can you say closterphobia?) My deck was through bolted, what a pain in the a*s! I started taking them out one by one with the help of a friend, but really couldn't stand being trapped in the bow, so I ended up ripping off the rub rail, and took a die grinder to the rest of the through bolted nuts.

Looks like I'll have quite a bit of glass work/reinforcement to do around the outermost perimiter of the deck. It appears that it's a weak spot which produced stress cracks in the gel coat allmost all the way around the outside.

I'm considering not re-installing the lift rings, as I'll never use them. Would this affect the integrity of my boat?

I plan on re-building the stringers, is there any fully synthetic material suitable for these as well as the transom? I don't want to use wood for anything. Please give me your feedback on Nydacore (spelling?) or any similar synthetic material for stringers/transoms.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=47866104

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=47866107

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=47866108

superhatz
05-05-2001, 01:05 AM
What model is that?

BERTRAM BOY
05-05-2001, 08:00 AM
21 GT.....
Wow, Nate thats some tight working quarters.
BERTRAM BOY

GEOO
05-05-2001, 08:56 PM
Nate, Looks like a good start. Keep us posted. GEOO

CDMA
05-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Nate I did a lot of reinforcement in that area you are refering too. I took 3/4" battens form home depot and coated them in west system. Then I went around and 5200 them to the inside of the hull. Worked really well. I was worried about attaching it with west system in case it altered the curve of the bow and them it would be tough to flex back into place. I thought about doing it with fiberglass and I would have. I just couldn't figure out how. God knows I did enough glass work I just thought this might give the screws more to bite into. I don't know if another way would have worked better but this seemed to work out fine.

Chris

MarkG
05-07-2001, 12:14 PM
Nate

Wow!!
That looks like a lot work. If you get a chance could you email me a shot of the hull inside, forward of the driver seat?
Also if the dash can lifted off what does the deck look like underneath?

MarkG
mgdesign@htonline.com

RickR
05-07-2001, 01:40 PM
Nate
I don't think omiting the lifting ring would lessen the hull inetrigity.
Looks like you have plenty to do! I hope your garage has AC!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Jamesbon
05-07-2001, 01:47 PM
All,
I'll see if I can take some pics tonight. I'm hoping to raise the deck this evening. Just have to cut those glass tabs inside the hull and rig up the chain hoist and a cherry picker.

Scott Pearson
05-08-2001, 06:55 AM
Nate,
Just some info.

I just put my deck back on and screwed it back down. On these Donzi's and Im sure most other boats you CAN NOT crank down on the screws or the THRU BOLTS. This will cause what you have said. I had about 150 screws I put back in and most of them went back in the same holes they came out of. A little 5200 on each screw and just snug them down.

They glass on the under side of the deck is so imperfect ...IS THAT A WORD? in most areas that you cant get a butt match.

If it where me...I would not thru bolt them. the screws will hold fine and be tight enuff.

(NJ)Scott

Forrest
05-08-2001, 10:51 AM
Well Nate, I glad to see that you have a lot of room to lay everything out. Nothing worse that to be cramped for working space. That should be fun when you start doing 'glass work in there. That ought to make the house smell really good! Well anyway, the only difference in your setup and mine is that I can't fit a boat in my garage. I ended up buying a portable car-port tent from Sam's Club to put the boat under and all the "support" stuff is in the garage. Let me see if I can find a picture. Hmmm . . . On second thought, maybe I better not!

------------------
Forrest

Jamesbon
05-08-2001, 01:04 PM
Whew! Still trying to get her apart. I think there's one spot under the floor where I need to grind away a small tab of glass. I also noticed that the very tip of the deck (about the forward most foot) seems to be a seperate piece. I recall a picture of Jim Wynn poking his head out of this same space in a photo from the book "Don Aronow, King of..." Has anyone else found this with their deck?

Yeah, I like the "batten" idea and will probably use it. Also have to agree w/Scott P. on not through bolting the deck back on. Even though mine was through bolted, almost all of'em were loose anyway. I'll probably adapt CDMA's batten trick for my rig. I bet she'll be a lot tighter with the bottom re-inforced and the deck actually on snug.

Did you guys (RickR too) use the rub rail fasteners to secure the deck? Or do you secure the deck, then go back around with the rub rail and it's own fasteners? My deck had slotted "wood screws" holding it down, then the rubrail screws were through bolted, that is about 75% of 'em were.

Last night I started fabricating a main lifting beam for the deck. It runs down the centerline of the hull horizontilly, (is that really a word?) then I'll run 3 lines down vertically to 3 cross members. One in the engine room, one in the bottom of the cockpit, and one thrrough the forward lift ring hole to another cross member. I have a chain hoist, but will have to buy a second "come along" tonight.

Then it's settled, I'm not putting the lift rings back in. I really have no use for'em since she's stored on a bunk type hoist and I'll never be selling her.....

Mark,
I haven't forgot about the pics.

Thanks for all your input Fellas, it sure gives me the extra "oomph" I need when things get tough!

Scott Pearson
05-09-2001, 07:45 AM
Yes, Deck first gets slotted wood screws. Then phileps on the rub rail. They hold the deck also. I just screwed everything down last night and have most of the rub rail fitted.

(NJ)Scott

GeneD
05-10-2001, 10:02 AM
Wow Nate,
This looks to be one hell of a project.
Man...no room to do a thing in that shop!
You are going to have your hands full on this one big fella!
The only thing I have to say is that I have always regretted not having the lift rings on my boat. I didn't put any cleats on the bow and the only way I had to tie up was to run a line through the bow eye.
I do have lift rings now, and just fitted them yesterday. I have to get my welding buddy to make some brackets for them. I will admit that they look wierd after all this time, and I'm not sure exactly when I am going to get used to them, if ever. But I think I need them, if not to use as a cleat, to fill the holes in the deck I didn't have the heart to fill in.
Good luck...how long you figure?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida