PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO RECALL ON PUSH RODS!! READ

DONZIMAN2
05-03-2001, 04:42 PM
If you own a 496 Merc regardless of boat manufacturer have the serial # checked by your dealer in the computer. The push rods may be defective. Could not take delivery on my new boat today because of this problem. If you need this recall you could be potentially hurting your engine. Just have your stuff checked. My motor was installed within the last month and needed this recall. Thanks,

Dr. Dan
05-03-2001, 06:35 PM
What a Bummer! ...What are they doing, switching them out or pulling the whole thing?...Doc

DONZIMAN2
05-03-2001, 06:37 PM
Thanks to the info I got off of Bubbas post on OSO I was able to deal with it right there. The dealer I go to is awesome. There mechanic was right on the phone while I was finishing the paperwork. Parts are being sent out ASAP and hopefully I will get the boat delivered soon. All they have to do is change the pushrods.

[This message has been edited by DONZIMAN2 (edited 05-03-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
05-03-2001, 08:18 PM
Bob, you know I feel terrible... My best friend having bad luck... I pray for the best, Nancy too, we have spoke of it often this evening....

Makes you wonder how that engine got in your boat! Those serial numbers have been out for at least 3 weeks based on the OSO post! Isn't someone paid to keep track of something like a product with a current recall? Thank God for consumer awareness.
And the internet for telling the world!
Bryan

DONZIMAN2
05-03-2001, 10:49 PM
I am a little bummed about the engine issue but it is better to find out now instead of later. Donzi did a fantastic job on the boat. The glass, paint, and rigging are perfect. The boat is awesome. The recall on the motor is relatively new. The parts are on the way and the mechanics at the dealer are sharp. I just have to wait a few more days. Thanks for the post.

DONZIMAN2
05-04-2001, 03:12 PM
Merc had the parts overnighted. They arrived today. Repairs on recall started. Hopefully this weekend I will get to splash it. Looks like a 6 hour repair according to the book.

boldts
05-04-2001, 04:57 PM
Donziman2,
That is great news. Sounds like they are removing the valve covers, loosening the rockers and swapping out the push rods since you say it is a 6 hr. job. Sure is great that you were able to find out about the recall and have it taken care of before running the boat on the bay and possibly doing some real bad engine damage. Can't wait to see her at the Awakening. Spoke to Bryan on the phone last night and he was real worried about you. I'm glad that your Friday news has been like my Friday news. (Radio Station Broadcast from Jamestown and promo ads all week) Sensational!

Scott Boldt

DONZIMAN2
05-04-2001, 06:26 PM
Scott, Thanks. Gonna check on it tomorrow again. Hope it goes well. Push rod swap is a lot less painful than a whole motor. Talk to you soon. Bob