PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX Engine Packages

Joe P
08-05-2001, 03:47 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a new 22zx. Can anyone tell me what is the largest stock big block engine package that I can get in a 22zx? Does it have enough power? I saw a thread concerning the 22zx being slow out of the hole. Any information would be greatly appreciative.

Joe

Hardonzi
08-05-2001, 04:45 PM
When I bought mine last year the only 2 engine pkgs. avail. were the 350 mag. and the 377 scorpion..You probably could ask for any engine `YOUR THE CUSTOMER`. My 350 mag. does great with 2 or 3 a little slower with 4 or 5 with 6 I wish I had the 454 but now this is just getting to plane,the boat performs fantastic once up,but with 2 it jumps out the water on plane quick.Make sure u opt for a bravo outdrive,with the alpha your very limited to performance upgrades.. ;)

Shanghied Again
08-05-2001, 08:40 PM
They dropped the big blocks in the 22ZX, They say that the 350s are better, I think it was more of a Liability reason, I have a Big block with a supercharger and I wouldn't have it anyother way, I guess you could throw a supercharger on a small block but your hp is limited.

HP 600SC
08-05-2001, 08:46 PM
Too Bad that they had to drop the BB Frank,
but you are right....liability, hmmmmmm?
if you take away the LI then you have ability! Gees! if it were just that simple
in driving them. Also Frank, I went ahead
and bought new seats for the 22 as labor Day
weekend is closing in rapidly. So no need to
send those photos :p .

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-05-2001, 09:07 PM
Joe, I see you got me email, you can get the 6.2 (320HP), 350 Mag and of course the 6.2 scorp (377).

FRANK C Seats, well my bay run hurt one today, it may not last much longer. I am hooking up with your guy Frank. Did you get my email about mounting bolts and questions?

Keep us posted Joe, and like I said they are a great boat.
Bryan

RickSE
08-05-2001, 10:41 PM
Joe P,
The BBC was last seen in the 22ZX in 1999. The new 6.2L though is a replacement for the old base 454. The 6.2L is lighter and has more H.P. than the base 454. The 6.2L 22ZX is supposed to run 72MPH at sealevel. Have you seen the ad for my dad's 22ZX? http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000154

He has a dealership in Albuquerque and really want's to sell this boat. The boat is brand new, has never touched the water and is loaded with almost every option. As I said in the ad he paid $45K for the boat and Myco trailer and needs to sell so he's now asking $40K for the boat and trailer. If it's anything close to what your looking for give him a call or drop me a line @ lastviking@altavista.com . Looks like your close to the boat being in Colorado.

Scubado
08-06-2001, 09:39 AM
Joe,

I have a 2000 22ZX with the 350Mag Alpha combo. I love the boat, I think everyone would agree that more HP is always better. I'm not sure that you will get much more out of the stock 454 than the 350 for top end. It will certainly out perform the 350 when it has a load of people in it though.

Do get the Bravo drive so you have some options for building your own horsepower. I would like to put a blower on mine but I will have to buy a new drive to do that. I'll probably just but a bigger boat.

The 350 Mag does have great fuel economy...

Joe P
08-06-2001, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I will definately go for the Bravo drive. I just saw the Classic 22 Special Edition on the Donzi web site and it really has me drooling but when you have a family you need more space for all your "stuff" and I don't think the Classic has much of a bow compartment.

Bryan, I have been in contact with Marty Strones at the Donzi Pro-Line of New Mexico dealer. Is this your dad? I won't have the cash until 1st Qtr of next year so here I am collecting all the information I can get and drooling all over my keyboard in the mean time...I am definately going the boat show they have here in February...I am dreaming of two weeks at Lake Powell....

Joe

Joe P
08-06-2001, 10:36 PM
The only thing I am worried about is getting the 22zx in my garage. I am looking at a Pacific Trailer with a swing hitch at the bow. I have a 24' garage and figure I could get another foot at an angle. Do any of you think it will make it? I don't know how long the outdrive is from the transom to the prop. Have any of you brought the trailer up on blocks with the outdrive down?

Joe

Shanghied Again
08-07-2001, 04:50 AM
The boat is bigger then a 22 actually she favors the 23ft side, You also have to count on your trailers length add another 2ft min,The 22 ZX is a big 22 but her next to a 22 Scarab and you will see the difference.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-07-2001, 05:38 AM
Joe, the garage idea is a no go, she is big for a 22.3 boat, I almost cut a whole in the back my garage for the outdrive!

Seriously though, she is big, as far as storage, she has a good size cuddy, I put some stainless eyes in the cuddy to strap down a 2 boat boxs of stuff and the other holds towels and jackets. We keep the porta poti out of the boat and that square slot holds another box and a 55qt cooler perfectly.
Also there is plenty of engine compartment room, I know FRANK C designed some extra storage in there. I hang our tube from the back tow eye and bungy to the trailer eyes when carrying it around boating.

Plenty of room for family, I usually have the wife, 2 kids and one kids friend. More than 5, kids or not it is tight changing tubers etc.

Marty is Rick's dad, I considered the boat he has at one point. The 22ZX in NMexico has a few more options than mine.
Good luck and keep us posted Joe.
Bryan Tuvell

Scubado
08-07-2001, 10:40 AM
Joe,

I keep my boat in a storage unit that is 26' long. It just fits with the outdrive down. The swing hitch will save you a couple of feet and is a good idea. The only thing I don't like about my pacific trailer is the winch. Very poor quality. Wish I had the swing hitch.

RickSE
08-07-2001, 11:17 AM
Joe,
As Bryan stated Marty is my dad. Where are you at in Colorado? I'm in Flagstaff and spend a lot of time on Powell in the summer. In fact I'm going up this Firday with my 18 Classic. Drop me a line if your ever in the area and want to go for a ride.

The 22-Classic does have some room up front but not as much as the 22ZX. The ZX also has more deadrise and a wider beam then the Classic. A well equiped 22ZX will cost you $40-$45K. 22-Classic will run $45-$50K and the 22-Classic Special Edition is about $70K with a trailer.

Sounds like you may be able to fit the boat in your garage at an angle, but you may need to check the height. We sold a 22Z to a guy who had to let air out of the tires in order to clear the garage door. Also, the 22ZX's sit pretty high on the trailer so you should be able to drop the drive quite a bit especially if you lower the front of the trailer.

Joe P
08-07-2001, 09:48 PM
Thanks All,

I'm glad to know it fits in a 26' garage on trailer (with the outdrive down). If I get the swing hitch it seems it may be 24'. I think I can get 25' at an angle so I think it will make it. Marty at Donzi of NM is getting me some exact dimensions. I don’t think the height is a problem. It is a 3-car garage and has an 8’6” height.

I’m in Littleton Colorado. We have a very small lake called Chatfield and it is about 15 minutes away. I plan to go to Lake McConaughy (5 hours drive) for weekends and then two trips a year to Powell for bigger vacations. McConaughy is in Nebraska and is 26 miles long which is surprising. You can drive your car and camp on the beach. I want to start renting a houseboat on Powwel and getting 10 friends and go on an adventure…..My kind of dream… I hear there is a two year wait for one.