PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Donzi

Cool Breeze
10-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Have a chance to buy a 1977 Classic 18 Donzi with 454 Chevy - Berkley Jet Drive. Engine is cooked and interior needs replacing. Are these "Jets" worth the effort?? Any idea on value?? I've never owned nor driven a Donzi, so please be candid and honest with responses. I hope to get pix soon. I'll check for wood rot/damage for sure.. Also, I would really appreciate any and all info you great Donzi folks can give.

Tks,

Cool Breeze

MOP
10-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Try to steal the boat for cheap dollars, you will have a great winter project filling in the transom and bottom then sticking in a good power package of you choice. Forget the jet SLOW!

bverd
10-03-2002, 09:50 PM
That is one of the greatest shots... --bverd

Woodsy
10-04-2002, 06:11 AM
Buy it as cheap as possible, and keep it like it is.... I believe the boat in the pic above resides at Lake George, NY.... VERY COOL!! The beauty of a jet is killer hp, awesome rooster tail, and no worries about submerged objects..... KEEP THE JET!! oh ya, did I mention RARE???

Woodsy Von Donzi :D :D

1996Z15
10-04-2002, 06:27 AM
Exactly how rare is an 18' with a Berkeley Jet? My friend had an 18' with a 455 Olds / Berkeley Jet combo and I didn't think that it was that slow. It was a blast to ride in and it did turn some heads.

Forrest
10-04-2002, 11:10 AM
The 18 jet will turn heads and will be fun. I gare-un-tee!

smoothie
10-05-2002, 05:58 PM
....and cpperformance (http://www.cpperformance.com) still has performance parts for the jet drive and did somebody already say that jet drives love RPM and horsepower? :cool: I just had to say it again!!!!

Bug
10-05-2002, 07:21 PM
I remember the olds 455 set up (replaced many a
starters on it)in an 18' 2+3. A fun ride.Had a
friend who had a 20' Cigarette with the 454 Berkley jet (top mount starter, never had any problems)it was quite the set up and fast.
Sounds like you found a gem (rare).

Ken

Enjoy the ride

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-05-2002, 09:12 PM
While I agree that the rarity of the jet version should prevent you from doing a jet to stern drive conversion, and the roostertail is waaay kool, you should really try to get it at a bargain price. Go into the deal armed with the fact that given identical hulls and engines, jet drives are 3-5 mph slower than sterndrives, and as much as 10 mph slower than V-drives or surface drives.
If top speed is not an important factor to you, I say go for it, but get it cheap and enjoy it. Just don't expect to make out on resale because jets are not doing well in the used market.

Happy hunting!
Eric

harbormaster
10-07-2002, 06:06 AM
I think it will be a lot of fun with the jet. It will also be rare and draw crowds at Donzi events. Keep it a jet. The boat in the photo belongs to a gentleman who lives in Canada.