PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 270 Disassembly

HOTFOOT
10-03-2002, 05:36 PM
I'm overhauling a Volvo 270 outdrive and am unable to remove the Lower Unit Prop Bearing Housing using a slide hammer per the manual. Anyone ever run into this problem? I've tried heat but it dissipates too fast.
Thanks for any suggestions. :confused: :confused:

MOP
10-03-2002, 07:46 PM
This may work for you, let the unit soak in a mix of isopropal alchol and water 1qt AL 3qt H2O for a couple of days(cover the bucket). Then with the help of a buddy use two hard wood blocks, I use 1X1X6" oak and hammers. The housing should be hit on the bolt ears both of you hit in the same rotational direction. Go right then left and back again, it should break loose. That drive probably came from salt and an idiot mechanic that can't prep stuff for salt. When you put it back together it is very important to make sure the bore and the carrier are both coated well with non hardening gasket compound. It will come apart 10-15 years from now if done properly. ??? Mail me!

HOTFOOT
10-03-2002, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the good idea, I'll try it this weekend. I had tried Liquid Wrench but there is no way to really get it where you need it; as a last resort I was about to drill several holes in the housing in order to gain access to the bore.

MOP
10-03-2002, 08:43 PM
The idea is to try to soften the corrosion then try to get the carrier to rotate. Good luck.