Ranman
10-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Can anyone explain this?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/wierdtabs.jpg

CDMA
10-03-2002, 01:32 PM
I got a weird idea but I don't feel like sticking my foot in my mouth... wink

Chris

A new personal record 50 hours no sleep... where did I leave that keg of coffee?

mattyboy
10-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Ramnan,
do you need everything explained to you???
why the answer is so obvious!!! wink :D :D

only kidding, I'm not a wiz kid but what's wrong with it?? looks like the only place to put em??
maybe they have the props turning out not in?
I just guessing here ,
Chris don't worry I always put my foot in my mouth!

Matt
only fools rush in ,to find Mattyboy has already been there and had a couple of brews...

HP 600SC
10-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Not to worry, I know............the guy who put them on is a Dumbass!! LOL

Ranman
10-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey they're fine with me if they're Ok with you. :D :D

Everytime I've seen K-Planes (or any tabs for that matter) installed, they are always on an angle that coincides with the "V" of the hull. The ones pictured here are installed horizontally which I've never seen. The transom is notched so maybe that has something to do with it.

Hey, I'm just tryin' to learn about boats!! Sheesh!! :D :D

RedDog
10-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Not only do the tabs look weird, but is it an illusion, my eyes, the photo is flipped, or are the props on backwards

Ranman
10-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Red, The props look fine to me. The rotation has them turning inward instead of outward. I've heard this will give you a bit more top end.

There are tradeoffs with inward vs. outward rotation. Top speed, stern lift and handling, among other things are affected by the prop rotation.

MOP
10-03-2002, 05:03 PM
We have a local Merc shop out here that puts the K planes on that way. I argued like blazes saying they reduced the effect dramaticly. The swear that once up and going that the effect is better and produeces less drag! Go figure, the prop thing is something I have fooled with as have some of my friends, the theory is combining the thrust into a narrower more forceful stream. They do go slightly faster, I did not find any difference in lift or handling. It is a snap to try on cone shifter drives, but a major job on bottom shifters for not much gain.

KMLFAMILY
10-03-2002, 05:44 PM
On www.boattraderonline.com (http://www.boattraderonline.com) there is a 38ZR. Magic-floats poker run boat? Tabs mounted same way.Maybe someone can link the transom shot.

Greg Maier
10-03-2002, 05:50 PM
I can see a drawback to the K-planes mounted at an angle. If you do not have the K-planes at exactly the same trim, then a turning force will be imparted on the boat. At that angle, the K-planes act as a rudder. When I'm trimming the Blackhawk and the tabs get out of sync, the bow turns to one side or the other with so much force that the steering has little effect. It can give you a real spooky feeling.

Philip47
10-03-2002, 05:55 PM
That's Steve Stepp's Velocity, i think he know what works and what doesn't, what do you think?

Possibly with the planes in this configuration they still work, but don't have as much drag and speed reduction?

Reddog it's easy to flip negatives, good catch

RickSE
10-03-2002, 06:20 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones48.jpg

Donzi Blackhawk
10-03-2002, 07:08 PM
It has been said that with the tabs in the horizontal position, there will actually be less tab in the water when being used. Most often this configuration is used on boats that require little or no tabs when running. Only the best drivers or throttle men can make the most efficient use of this set up due to the somewhat limited wet running surface of the tab vs. the typical angled mounting location.

Bryant

mattyboy
10-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Ranman,
I have not seen many k planes in person, the ones I have,have been level if not on a little angle. I too and trying to learn as much as possible sometimes I guess we have to think outside the box.
it's ok with me if it's ok you you :D :D

if I had those k planes on the 16 I'd have and 18 :D

Matt

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-03-2002, 09:21 PM
RANMAN, the original post on OSO does shed some light, the guy does have a neat web site too, I especially liked his shrink wrapped winter photos with the water frozen over.
From OSO: click on FIRST link in FIRST post on OSO.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34211

Bryan