PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs on my 1987 20 minx, what all can they be used for?

Stix Magill
08-04-2001, 12:31 AM
I bought my 1987 20 Minx 6 days ago and I have experimented a little with the trim tabs. I can see how they can level the boat with an uneven weight distribution (starboard to port) and I can see how they could be used to help you plane off quicker. Is there a way they can help you get more speed? Thanks for any and all input. Stix http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/donziscott2.jpg

Randy Hibbard
08-04-2001, 03:32 AM
Hey Stix, tell us a little more about the boat. Limited Edition? what engine combo and what she has for interior. Looks great in the picture!

Stix Magill
08-04-2001, 09:49 AM
Thnaks Randy and Madpoodle. This Limited Edition (21 of 25) was repowered recently with a 1997 Mercruiser 350 mag 270hp. The previous owner was using a 21 Mirage SS prop, but went to a 24 Mirage SS after the repower. Please let me know if the prop change is a bad idea. It has 52 hours on the new engine and 240 on the boat. The seats are original grey with "Limited Edition" stitching but they are a little tired and get quite hot in the sun. Would I be making a mistake to recover them in white down the road? I did this with my last boat and the seats NEVER got hot. Anyway, back to the good stuff. I haven't had much time to get used to the boat, but the VDO speedometer read 61mph at WOT on glassy water. The previous owner said it would run 65. Maybe a slight chop would make that difference, or maybe I need to work with those trim tabs lightly like Madpoodle can. Thanks again for the help and comments. I will have better pictures by tuesday!

Stix (The loud guy up at Yellow Creek) :)

Randy Hibbard
08-04-2001, 12:23 PM
Well, a 24p sounds like alot to me for a SBC in a Minx, but 61 is good though. What dose the tach show? I run a 23p at only 4500 rpm, non calibrated speedo reads 65 with a mild built motor. Should get our RPM's close to 5 grand for max speed. Be forwarned, the Alpha will be the first thing to go! I allready blew up one! The white interior crossed my mind too, but want to keep it original, these boats are rare. Check out Tim Howland's and my boat in the registry. # 20 and # 15 LE in black. Must get these boats together someday.

Tim Howland
08-04-2001, 02:00 PM
Stix,

What a fine looking specimen! You have purchased a head turner that is rare and distinctive. Somehow I too think the 24p is a little stout unless you are in the 390 to 400 hp range. I run a Mirge Plus 21 that puts me in the 58-60 range. The Bennetts, I do not use them unless I have to. Something else in the water equals more drag. Welcom to the boards, a wealth of information, humor,and comrardery that is second to none!

All good,
Tim