PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs on my 1987 20 minx, what all can they be used for?

Stix Magill
08-04-2001, 12:28 AM
I bought my 1987 20 Minx 6 days ago and I have experimented a little with the trim tabs. I can see how they can level the boat with an uneven weight distribution (starboard to port) and I can see how they could be used to help you plane off quicker. Is there a way they can help you get more speed? Thanks for any and all input. Stix

Formula Jr
08-04-2001, 01:16 AM
You have an 20' '87 Minx. Pics?

Randy Hibbard
08-04-2001, 03:25 AM
Congradulations on a great boat purchase. Hope we can see it registered soon with some pics. My 87 Minx also has trim tabs and I never use them for speed. The consensus here is that unless you're running a big block and need the tabs to keep the boat level because of prop torque (Rick R.) you only use them for skiers and to eliminate porposing at around 40 mph. Best thing for speed is good prop and engine mods. Goodluck and welcome!

Stix Magill
08-04-2001, 09:59 AM
Here is a pic for you Formula. I am new to this chatroom thing and I accidently started this topic twice. I will have better pics after this weekend! The sun is out and I GOTTA GO!
http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/donziscott2.jpg

RickR
08-04-2001, 04:58 PM
When performance driving in rough conditions I run with the tabs parallel with the running surface of the hull. That lengthins the running surface which helps the hull ride more level, especially when launching off a wave. :D

BTW Nice Ride!! There is a Minx in Knoxville with a 572ci/Bravo. Yee Haa!!!

Klingon
08-04-2001, 11:01 PM
As far as I am concerned I wil always have tabs on my boats. I have a 1999 C18 with 350 Alpha EFI. The boat has always been nervous to drive at any speed about 35 mph. I always had to keep the drive in to keep the bow inder control and comfortable. Now with the tabs (Bennett) I can run the drive neutral so more speed and MPG and the boat is flat stable. My drive indicators say I am only running the tabs at 6 degrees below the hull bottom. The boat now is always very easy to drive at any speed.
Alan

marcdups
08-05-2001, 01:00 PM
Stix, georgeous boat, I have a 16 and installed bennett sport tabs to keep it from porposing at 30-35 mph and sometimes for better holeshot but at 8 sec's to retract them it sometimes feel faster to get the boat up to speed by burping the engine, but they are worth every penny, at WOT depending on which prop I am running I use it to compensate for the prop torque .

Marc and the P....MAG!!

:eek: :D

TORYSMINX
08-06-2001, 08:43 AM
I also own the same boat and boy does that thing look in good shape. What does it have in it? Well anyways I use the trim with people in the boat cruising. I use the left trim tab to equal the weight of passengers so it rides pretty straight with limited steering reaction. I am almost does with the new small block and I will tell you how it goes.

As for more speed I put the tabs all the way up and trim it to number 3 and hammer it. It really does love the extra air under the hull. That is propbably why I grenaded the old motor :D

Tory

Formula Jr
08-06-2001, 04:08 PM
You guys should try what RickR is talking about with setting the tabs to just kiss the surface of the water while running in the rough stuff. Your boat will correct side to side rolls much quicker and feel more stable.

RickR
08-06-2001, 04:34 PM
Should'a had his tabs down :eek: :eek: :eek:
http://donzi.net/photos/rryan02.jpg

marcdups
08-06-2001, 07:16 PM
Rick, at least your butt is still in the seat, beautiful shot :eek: looks like your going mountain climbing!!

Marc

waiting for tips !!

RickR
08-06-2001, 07:29 PM
marcdups
That's not me ;) I never drive like that :rolleyes:

Moody Blu'
08-07-2001, 12:58 AM
DAMN :eek:

Stix Magill
08-07-2001, 07:57 PM
Thanks fellas. I am learning alot about the new boat and I feel like I have found some new friends. The porpoising around 35 was really annoying me and it is great to find that that is normal! I will have more questions for you experienced guys shortly. Here is a better picture of the 20 Minx.

Thanks again! Stix Magill
http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/donzi101.jpg

Dalelama
08-07-2001, 11:25 PM
Stix,

To remedy yer porposing problem...
Draw the outdrive in a bit, and add some "bow down" trim on the tabs. At full throttle (in somewhat smooth chop) ou'll be able to fully retract the tabs, and run the drive out to almost cavitation... there's where you'll find your top speed. There's not much chine walking with my Minx, but it will do the "horizontal bogie" if not properly trimmed.

I'm looking at 53mph (GPS) with the Hi-P 320 EFI... QUicksilver 21SS prop. I've got a loaner 4 blade 19, and will try it out sometime this week... I need some more rpms...

Keep your eye on the outdrive fluids... the Alpha will smoke in an instant if too much water gets in... verify a good impeller too.

Nice boat!

Dale Evans
Miami, FL
87'Minx - 320 EFI