PDA

View Full Version : GPS, Which Way Do I Go?

Scubado
08-03-2001, 01:18 PM
What are your experiences with hand held GPS systems? What features are important and which are just doo dads? Which companies offer the best products? What are the advantages of a permanently mounted system? And, of course, how much?

Thanks for any input!

RedDog
08-03-2001, 03:04 PM
I recently bought the Garmin eTrek Legend. Has a basic, but pretty good, base map built in. The map may be considered a "doo dad" for a hand help, but I like it.

More detailed maps can be loaded with optional mapping software.

Picked up at the local Boaters World for around 240.00.

Scubado
08-03-2001, 04:03 PM
Thanks Reddog.

What do you use it for most? Not getting lost in open waters or on foggy days, making your way through tricky channels, navigation at night, etc.? What features do you find most usefull?

I've heard a lot of good things from others about the garmin produt. Is it waterproof?

PaulO
08-03-2001, 04:46 PM
I know you are talking handhelds and I am not up to date as to what cartography is available in handhelds but, I gotta tell you;
I have a Garmin GPS Map 180 on my other boat (34 Silverton Convertible) and it has been the single best thing I have ever purchased for boating. The map shows all markers and land masses, all depths and obstacles, basically, everything that is on your paper chart. Plus, it clearly outlines the channels. Up north here when you go out before and after the markers are out (pre, post season), all you do is follow the channel on the GPS. Plus all the great data you get along with GPS, speed, heading, ETA, miles traveled, etc.

At night for practice (and because it is fun) I set the radar and the GPS to the same scale and I drive through the night only looking at the instruments!!

Around here with the narrow channels and miles of shallows, this thing has paid for itself 5 times over already.

Get one but, make sure you get the chartplotter.

PaulO

RickR
08-03-2001, 04:50 PM
I've had 2xGarmin 48s and a Garmin 128 with differential.
I have had ALOT of problems with Garmin but their the leader especially with handhelds.

For general navigation (with a Donzi) I'd look for one that is waterproof with marine navaid database. Those are pretty common options.

GPS is now good to within 30'. If you want more accuracy (like for fishing) go with a unit that has WAAS. That will get you down to around 15'. Like a Garmin 76 (submersible, WAAS,nav-aids $219@West Marine).

The map function is good especially for auto navigating but that adds to the cost of the unit. And the marine chart database chips are expensive.

Returning home is easy with any of the modern units. They should all have Track-back.
We run a 5 mile, very narrow channel in Florida after dark and in fog. It's very simple with the Track-back function. I navigate using the GPS and have a spotter look for obstructions with a spotlight.

I like my permantly mounted unit on the Donzi. There is a good location right of the wheel on the Classics. Saves on batteries, keeps you out of the shallows, has a odometer and helps you dial in top speed.

BTW If you are going to mount the unit get a surface mount bracket and a power data cable.

blackhawk
08-03-2001, 05:12 PM
I guess it depends on what you want your GPS to do. I bought the Garmin E-trex and it does everything I need. But all I wanted was something to show speed and help me at night, in fog etc. I use velcro to hold in on the dash in the corner and it has NEVER fallen off! It has already saved me twice trying to make it back to the dock at night! But, the speed is a little off. Seems to read slow. :D

Moody Blu'
08-03-2001, 06:43 PM
the magelan map 410 is awesome, it comes with software so you can load the maps.

mad poodle(excuse my french)
HOW THE bleep :eek: DID YOU GET A magellan 410 for $5.00???????????

I paid $350.00 :mad:

God *%(*^*&^)*^^ mother (*^*(%^%$*&((*&^%#$#

Formula Jr
08-03-2001, 07:56 PM
If ya stops cussing so freely there '71, I'll be the first to vote ya five stars for effort. This isn't OSO.

Moody Blu'
08-03-2001, 08:03 PM
DONE :D

Dr. Dan
08-04-2001, 09:27 AM
Scub, we just received/ordered a Garmin eTrex Mariner, on sale for $179 West Marine,also the computer patch cord $37, and a goofy case for $14,for packing it away. Don't know a darn thing about it but here's the specs; WAAS enabled,12 channel patch antenna,flash memory download to store data from CDs,weighs only 5.3oz,measures4.4"x2.5",with grippy rubber sides,waterproof to IPX-7 standards(I have no idea!)PC Cable included, and if you're real nice it'll cook you eggs for breakfast! We're excited to use it,check out West Marines site,www.westmarine.com Good Luck, Danny :D

RickR
08-04-2001, 06:43 PM
If you are going to have a fixed mount for a handheld GPS, get one with the controls on the front like the Garmin GPS 76 or Gamin 12.
www.garmin.com (http://www.garmin.com)

doug hess
08-14-2001, 09:44 PM
I also have a Magellan 410 which met my requirement for a hand held gps with basic marine charts. West Marine had them on sale in June for $149 plus $49 for chart data. Ebay frequently has 410's for $200+

The 410 a great unit for someone who just wants the basics without the hassel of looking up coordinates on a chart.

It is easy to save $40 and make up your own computer serial cable and power adapter. The 410 runs on anything from 9 to 24 VDC and you avoid the problem of the 4 AA batteries going dead just when you need it.

The store bought, ready made dash mounts were a waste so I made up one by gutting the insides out of battery charger/holder for an old Motorola Flipie cell phone and lining it with thin carpet. A simple tab with thumb screw bracket on the back allows the viewing angle to be adjusted. When I am not using the GPS the holder is a great place to put the cell phone.

Moody Blu'
08-14-2001, 11:33 PM
mad poodle,I did switch the gps to mph from nmh, I think your right about losing something in the translation :(
im doing 53.1 mph, I have to play with my carb and prop now.OH BOY
:p