PDA

View Full Version : 1966 triple hatch, fair price? Whats you opinion?

Philip47
08-03-2001, 01:22 AM
I have located a 1966 triple hatch, 18 2+3 for sale, hull #72, repainted Donzi red in emron, ameture interior, 280 outdrive, warmed over 351 cleveland, fresh engine, no grab rails, late model windsheild. original volvo prop. Additional non stock latches on engine covers. Original Donzi Marine emblems missing. Older dbl axle trailer in good working order.

I would love to own a early boat like this but don't have allot of money to put in it, maybe a stock interior. Mechanicaly the boat is strong and is in presentable cosmetic condition, though not stock (I could definitely use it as is) I'm in a quandry of what this would be worth, and how much it would evaluate in the future.

I want this boat but don't want to let my lust for it get me in a situation where I could lose significant money if I where to sell it in the future.

Help!

Thanks, Phil

Formula Jr
08-03-2001, 03:52 AM
You will lose a significant about of money. Get over it, and buy that Donzi. :)

Philip47
08-03-2001, 08:03 AM
The owner wants $9,500 that is the total of what he has in the Donzi

AGUESS
08-03-2001, 08:45 AM
I have a 1966, Single Hatch, that I have almost finished restoring. This restoration was a lot of money. New engine, drive, fuel tank, wiring, guages, steering, everything. Also had to do a lot of repair to deck, rebuild transom & stringers, dash, floor, etc.

Out of pocket exceeds $10K and a year of off and on labor hours - nights weekends.

Bottom line. Any boat costs a lot of money if it is older and needs any type of repair or repowering. New boats just to maintain.

I have owned this Donzi since I was 13, which is why I spent this much on it. I could have purchased another one for a lot less, but it would not be the same.

Will you love this donzi, yes. However before you buy it, crawl over, under and inside it to make sure that it is in really good condition.

Check for.
1. Balsa wood under gel-coat is not bad or soft, floor, transom, dash, etc., anywhere there was an opening for water to get in is not soft, or wet to the touch.( feel inside the engine vent covers from inside the engine compartment, check the balsa between the glass and the gel-coat).

2. Look at deck for any signs of cracking or sun damage.
3. Look at condition / age of fuel tank, wiring, instruments, etc.

If this Donzi is in great shape it is worth the price, but if you are going to have to do a lot of work in the next few years, repower it and or replace/upgrade the drive you might want to either start with a lower offer or continue to look around. There are usually some good Donzi's for sell on this site.

Good luck.

Alex.

BERTRAM BOY
08-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Philip,
If you are cost consious, this might not be the boat for you. Even if the boat is in good shape, $9500 sounds a little high. Don't forget it's 34 years old, and things have a tendency to break,usually one right after the other. How do I know this?
I have a '66 also. First it was the trim pump, then it was the alternator, and now it's the outdrive.
I know it's a lot more money, but if you can scrape together around $15K, you can find something a whole lot newer. You'll save alot of money in the long run.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Formula Jr
08-03-2001, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty convinced that you can't run a 35 year old glass boat the way you can a 10 year old boat anyway. They get brittle, and once that happens you'll find cracks in lots of places they don't belong. I've got a 66 boat and I'm not going toward a restore with it anymore. Its easier to build an entire new boat.

Philip47
08-03-2001, 03:46 PM
Thanks to all for their honestly and information, I agree I thought $7,500 was toward the high end of a fair price.

I agree in a few months I can afford a newer and better boat.

Any comments on what years you might recommend of newer boats? dash Styles etc?
engines and dreives?

RickR
08-03-2001, 06:01 PM
I'd recommend the new HP500, 22 Classic! Thats what I want :D

Moody Blu'
08-03-2001, 06:50 PM
whats the difference between a triple hatch and a single hatch??? is there double hatch..