PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Donzi Blackhawk

Greg Maier
10-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey Bryant,
I have a Blackhawk question for you. Most of us are familiar with the history of the Limited Edition Blackhawks, i.e 40 were made, painted black, gold trim, etc. What is the story on the non-limited edition Blackhawks like mine, WBateman, and Blackhawk, and whoever else I forgot. Why were they made? How many did they make? Were they all colored on the sides? Any other interesting facts?

Indyblackhawk
10-02-2002, 07:09 PM
i'd like to know this too ive got a 96 blackhawk and don't really now the story.

Donzi Blackhawk
10-02-2002, 08:02 PM
Ok Guys,

Gather around the campfire and I'll tell all of you the story of the great Blackhawk. Along time ago, in a galaxy far far away, opps, wrong story.

Ok, here is the scoop. When we started building the Limited Edition Blackhawks many people felt that the demand would exceed the 40 Limited Editions slated for production. Hoping for a strong interest in the new Blackhawk drive technology we started to build what some would call the standard Blackhawk. These boats would have the 502 Mag EFI and Blackhawk drive combo, but for the most part the rest of the boat would have the standard 22 Classic parts.

During this time we had some dealers asking for custom paint or graphics on the classics.
To make everyone happy, we painted some Classics with the new graphics. Among these Classics were a few Blackhawks. Then along came the 30th anniversary Edition with its own graphics and interior.

As I look at some of the Blackhawks on the registry, I remember them going up the line in production and even have photos of some of them.
I don't have much in the way of production numbers right now because I an writing this from home. I will get some numbers and post them soon.

By the way, for a short time the Donzi test team was short of drivers so I got to sea trial a few of the Limited Edition Blackhawks. As an Engineer for Donzi I am always happy when they throw me a bone!

If you have any specific questions let me know, I'll try to answer them.

Bryant "Mr. Blackhawk"

CDMA
10-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Were the standard blackhawks on the rocker hull or did they use the standard 22 hull.

Chris

blackhawk
10-02-2002, 08:45 PM
The "standard" blackhawks have the same hull. It is basically the same boat as the limited edition, minus the special paint, interior, dash and gold hardware. The hull, motor, drive, K-planes, etc were the same. I too would be curious as to how many "standard" blackhawks were produced.

Bryant, are you saying there are some 30th anniversary edition Blackhawks too? Or are you just relating the custom graphics to the special edition?

Scott

Indyblackhawk
10-02-2002, 08:52 PM
Ok wait so how many total special editions were there in 95 and 96

blackhawk
10-02-2002, 10:08 PM
Guess that answers my Anniversary Blackhawk question!

blackhawk
10-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Indyblackhawk, there were 40 of the limited edition blackhawks. I have no idea how many "standard" blackhawks there were which was Greg's original question. I didn't know there was an Anniversary blackhawk until 2 minutes ago!

Scott

Donzi Blackhawk
10-02-2002, 11:04 PM
No big deal, but there never was a Special Edition Blackhawk. They were known as Limited Editions. The Special Edition 22 Classic is the one with the 500 hp. The red Anniversary Edition came in either Blackhawk form or as a standard 22 Classic. The Anniversary Edition celebrated 30 years of Donzi 1964-1994. A lot of people think 1963 was the magic year for Donzi, but it was actually 1964 when Don Aronow built the first 28' Donzi for racing.
I will look up standard Blackhawk production numbers in the morning.

Bryant

CDMA
10-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Why the double scoops on that one?

Greg Maier
10-03-2002, 05:41 AM
Madpoodle,
What kind of steering is that on the Red She Devil?

knee deep
10-03-2002, 07:08 AM
hmmm.... could this be the secret project lurking somewhere in a Dade County garage? :mad:

blackhawk
10-03-2002, 07:19 AM
Sorry, I meant "limited" edition. :rolleyes: :D

sandslot
08-16-2023, 10:37 AM
Old thread but hope the correct sources are still on!

I have BH number 34. It somehow does have the graphics reversed on the port side! The starboard says Donzi Blackhawk Edition reading L-R, but the port says Edition Blackhawk Donzi R-L. Seems like an error, but its original.

I am writing to find out what material the gold hardware is and what kind of plating is it? Also, any idea where to get it replated? The original owner kept the full original cover on it and the wind buffeted some of the coating off.

Thanks!

sandslot
02-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Old thread but hope the correct sources are still on!

I have BH number 34. It somehow does have the graphics reversed on the port side! The starboard says Donzi Blackhawk Edition reading L-R, but the port says Edition Blackhawk Donzi R-L. Seems like an error, but its original.

I am writing to find out what material the gold hardware is and what kind of plating is it? Also, any idea where to get it replated? The original owner kept the full original cover on it and the wind buffeted some of the coating off.

Thanks!

Pinging for any updated information. I'm trying to determine the lineage of the Classic 22 Blackhawk. Which were "standard models", which are "Limited Edition" models, which had the lower engine/drive installation (standard??), which/how many had gold/tan graphics and trim, how does the 30th Anniversary boat play into the picture?

Just trying to complete the picture for all the "Blackhawks" that are still around....thank you!

smokediver
02-15-2024, 09:14 PM
I had a royal blue blackhawk And it was a 1998 🤷🏻*♂️. Fuel tank moved into the floor locker , elevated drive height , rocker hull ..I think they had a few hulls left over. I bought it from a guy in the Houston area.