PDA

View Full Version : Step hull my first experiance

MOP
10-01-2002, 08:53 PM
I had to pick up a 2001 23 Regal for brokerage, I found it to be the most miserable boat to maneuver in reverse that I have ever played with. After I pulled it out and got it blocked at the yard I studied the bottom, maybe its the way the deep V cuts in the bottom that channel the water in reverse. Has anyone had a similar experiance? Honest I am pretty decent at handling boats having taught boat handling professionaly for about 6 years.

mattyboy
10-01-2002, 09:00 PM
I have a friend you has a regal with a fast track hull I believe they not only have steps but reversed chines that stick out and notches they handle great on plane and need less power to cruise but are butt ugly and his is hard to back reliably

Matt

MOP
10-01-2002, 09:09 PM
Ok I guess that to get the speed and I must admit softer ride(It was very choppy on the bay and it rode great)you have to give up backabilty.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-01-2002, 09:11 PM
IMO, at idle docking, I don't think the hull is the problem.

Bryan (rookie at any dock)

AIRCRAFT CARRIERS IS ANOTHER STORY!

mattyboy
10-01-2002, 09:14 PM
MOP I think with all that stuff going on with the hull they do hunt when in reverse if that makes sense

Matt

MOP
10-01-2002, 09:55 PM
I was in a very protected boat basin, the boat was in the bulk head end of a finger pier set. It was about a 90 foot back out, it came out of the slip near perfect as it rounded I put the drive hard over in the opposite direction. The boat did straighten out but I had to leave the drive hard over all the way back and give it a decent kick to get it round to go out. Forward was fine, till I got to the ramp. At very low speeds I did alot of wheel whipping to run onto the trailer, I was glad it was over. The bitchy part is I have to sell this boat full well knowing it handles poorly that will be hard making absolutely sure I have an experienced boat handler buying it.

THANK GOD FOR CLASSIC HULLS!

ToonaFish
10-02-2002, 12:30 AM
It'll be easy to sell MOP... just tell 'em like GEOO does... it's a high performance boat and doesn't need no steenkin reverse...

Shanghied Again
10-02-2002, 07:33 AM
MOp.. Donzi step hulls are fine in reverse, Actually the way the steps are made it is easier to control the boats in reverse.