PDA

View Full Version : Prop Labbing Poll

Sam
10-01-2002, 07:39 PM
I would like to get a group consensus on weather or not you think labbing is worth it. Keep in mind that I understand that there is no guarantee with most upgrades but the probability is higher on some.

THX
Sam

BigGrizzly
10-01-2002, 07:47 PM
I do't use labbed props. If the company can't make it right the first time get a company that will. $400 to ^00 fot the prop then $150 to $350 for labing thanone log and do it again. Some claim gains on my boat I found one that beat the Mrec labs.

mjpcowboy
10-01-2002, 08:09 PM
I have labed 28P props on a 33ZX with 500 EFI's for power. I notice an overall performance difference with labed vs. non and a increase of 1-2 mph. It is worth the price of admission for me. Just my .02$

Sam
10-01-2002, 08:34 PM
Griz, I understand your feeling and respect your thoughts but I think your missing an important point. Keep in mind that props, boats, cars, computers and many other products were designed and built to satisfy the masses.Most products have an acceptable level of performance that satisfies most people in most situations. For those of us that want just a little more there is the after market. For us performance boat owners that means exhaust, carbs, heads, ignition systems ect. Does this mean that the OEM parts are sub standard, no. It just means that there are other products and services out there that the masses might not need or care about. Just my thoughts, thanks for your reply.

Sam

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-01-2002, 08:43 PM
I know for a fact, you can take a stock Merc prop, write them a note with "specifics" on your goal (what you want to achieve) for what you will be giving them $300 for, and it will come back (normally as you requested).

Just got my new stock 26 Bravo I (what a deal at $250 bucks!), I know she is fat and I will again run out of motor, but based on Frank C.'s data once I run her I will surely need a major thinning, Merc is pricey, but they do it right.

Let me add one thing, what you get at a prop shop for $50 to $100 bucks is a far cry from what you get from Merc.

Just my worthless 1 cent.....
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-01-2002, 08:56 PM
I can't agree more with Poodle, when they come back from Merc they are thin, where I differ in opinion is, if that is what you want, then you pay for it.

Poodles other good point is on mid-range, it has taken me awhile to realize it....

That Power Tech would be be good for a long haul, ie, 4000 RPM 58/59 MPH GPS.... NO top end though... MID-RANGE counts for long hauls....
I am learning! Like I told FTRUCKER, you can't be WOT all the time....

Down to a 1/2 a cent on this one.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-01-2002, 09:20 PM
Those are my two speeds.....
Who broke silence orders? DAMIT RXXXXXXP
Damn...... TXXXX'S

Still learning, year 4 is just around the corner!

Complement of the year...
"IS YOU TACH BROKE? It is always in the same spot!"

Throttle up does have an outstanding reputation, Merc is not GOD's gift to props, but my only experience.

Bryan

Rich
10-01-2002, 10:22 PM
Props are manufactured with a very wide range of tolerance as madpoodle stated. Right out of the box errors should be unacceptable but manufacturers take advantage of the "mystery" behind prop selection and design. If one profile prop doesn't work just right, the boating consumer will buy another one......Just what the manufacturers want.
While their focus is on inboard props, you may want to check out your local "Prop Scan" equipped shop. They use an optical measurement system to that can give you a computer printout of your props dimensions to within .001 inches. You'll be amazed at how far off your prop really is. Their computer can take all your boat and engine data and calculate the correct pitch to achieve the results you want.

Sam
10-01-2002, 10:32 PM
This debate can go on an on and there are many good points to be made. My only point is that labbing appears to be an after market service that may increase your top end. Based on the cost vs the risk/reward it sounds like an option that is slanted towards the reward side. So again I pose the question what have you seen in your experience with labbed props.

Rich, I spent $600.00 getting my props done via the "Prop Scan" method this past spring. These were some big four bladed bronze puppies for the mother ship. My goal here was to get rid of a slight vibration that was driving me insane. After a good shake down cruise I found no trace of the vibration. Interesingly my local "Prop Scan" guy does not work in stainless.

Sam

roadtrip se
10-01-2002, 10:57 PM
I hear nothing, I speak nothing!

That being said, as long as I can keep from cutting and bleeding myself to death on my mirage
29, labbed by Throttle Up, I am totally impressed by what the labbing did for my performance. 250-300 rpms and three mph gain, as well as making the thing easier to turn!

Now to Grizzley's point. Sometimes you just have to move on to another prop. Labbing may not solve all of the ills that effect the prop of your choice, no matter how much money you sink into the thing fine tuning it. I would suggest testing other props versus dumping big bucks into constant tuning of the same prop. Big bucks encounters big log and boom, you get to start over again! This is my biggest fear with the lab route!

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, you be the judge!

Todd

Exploring the potential of four and five blades thanks to a few well-placed friends! :p

Forrest
10-02-2002, 10:14 AM
No labbed props for me, thank you! My goal is to never have the prop touch anything but water, but where I go boating, that ain't a reality. In the Gulf on the Florida Panhandle, the water is very shallow at low tide, but lucky for me, non-labbed props, and outdrives, it's mostly soft white sand with oyster shells here or there. I'll gladly give up a couple of MPH on the top end to not have a trashed prop on the first contact with anything other than water.

PS: Nothing survives a run through an oyster bed! eek!

BigGrizzly
10-02-2002, 09:41 PM
Th truth iI tried them but found short commings. On the Criterion I tried 2 lab Bravo props than settled on the Turbos. they were faster on my boat.

Throttle Up
10-03-2002, 08:17 AM
Here is a topic that is near and dear to my heart and my props! Labbed props have there place and are not for everyone. It is very dependant upon the waters you boat as well as, what is important to your performance needs. I want to thank Bryan and Roadtrip se for there kind words. Let me know if you need more bandaids!

Julie
When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!

Donzi38
10-03-2002, 07:26 PM
With my 26zx I didnt like the labbed prop and went back to the standard b1.I lost midrange and keep hitting the rev limiter on my 502. I believe some people dont like them at first because they try to drive the boat the same way they did with the old prop. Usally the trim positions are diffrent than what you are used to. I find you need to trim down meore to bite better than before. As for the 33zx and the 38 daytona i wouldnt have anything but labbed. As for durability I have kicked up alot of sand and no proplem until I backed into a pole last month and had to have both of them redone.

riverrat
10-04-2002, 06:42 AM
I got a lab "25 marage plus from our tester Ted and it works good on my '18. But, I like the stock "23 that I had re pitched to a "25 better.
from all I know & have heard props work defferant on every boat. so I have fun changing mine from time to time just for the defferant feel. as Mad Poodle said they do thin the props when they lab them so you have to watch where you run one.
I have a "25 marage plus lab in perfect condition for sale if anyone wants it send my an e-mail.
eek! eek!

I have found that there are some good local people that can help with tuning your stock prop. so don't discount the local prop shop!! :D

HyperDonzi
10-04-2002, 02:32 PM
I remember something from the thread about this a month or two ago. Something about thinning the blades 1/2 will only loose 12% of original strength.

HyperDonzi
10-04-2002, 02:33 PM
I remember something from the thread about this a month or two ago. Something about thinning the blades 1/2 will only loose 12% of original strength.