PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injection Problems!

Dalelama
07-16-2001, 06:32 PM
The Minx has been running really rich latley... I tried to work on it and got stumped. So off to the shop went the boat, off to the bank I went!

1987 Merc 320 EFI
Replaced fuel press regulator $125 (needed)
Replaced ign. Amplifier $130 (needed)
Water temp sensor shot NOT AVAILABLE!
Jumped out H2O sens. to work air valve, leaned out a bit.....
ECM (injector brain)$1400 NOT AVAIL.
Merc Hi-perf Div might modify box (for a fee)

I wanna keep the EFI unit, but parts are NOT available... anybody got any ideas...

and I don't wanna hear a new manifold and carb downgrade!

------------------
Dale Evans
Miami, FL
'87 Minx / 320 EFI

Voodoocanoe
07-16-2001, 07:54 PM
If all else fails and you still want fuel injection I have a complete Cutler/Hirel marine fuel injection set up for a SBC.

avk
07-16-2001, 10:18 PM
That water temp sensor is real important and can be your problem. They are a NTC sensor (negative temperture coefficient) big words but what it means is that as the temp rises its resistence goes down. Most of these efi systems have simular requirements so a sensor from another efi motor might work. What you need is to know its cold resistence and its fully warm resistence and find something like it. I would not be surprised if the same motor in a car would work.
I have been working with Haltech ECU's for another application, but found out they make a version for the GM V-8 efi. These are totally open architecture which means you can program it from a laptop any fuel, ignition, O2 readings you want. I think their website is www.haltech.com. (http://www.haltech.com.) They are Austrialian based. You need a good start-up map and that can be provided by a guy called "The Hitman" he specializes in Haltech programing. You must realize that these ECU's are totally blank when you get them and you need to plug in your data to make it work. Once you get the hang of it you can change fuel, ignition at any rpm and any throttle.
Alan

Dalelama
07-18-2001, 05:50 PM
Thanks Alan...
The 87' Merc EFI was a real simple system..
and was NOT programmable... it was tested by an simple digital tester with a "Heathkit" type box with a few rotary switches on it ($1500 from Merc)..
The guys at Merc Hi-po Racing Division say that the H2O sensor was a normally open switch that would close after water temp went above 115 degrees, thus opening the air valve on the intake... similar to a choke warm up device on a carb system. I'm looking for an auto part or might wire in a manual switch to accomplish this... Merc sez that it wont lean out the motor too much.

Just added.... new harmonic balancer, water pump and timing chain cover..!!!

Now waiting for the plane to take a dump too!

------------------
Dale Evans
Miami, FL
'87 Minx / 320 EFI

Edward Donnelly
07-19-2001, 08:09 PM
Call Fred at Electromotive(.com) He makes a great system for E.F.I.s