PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust question

22classic
09-26-2017, 05:56 PM
ok, I am having new exhaust made for my 22 Classic and had some questions for some of the others that have done this. I have found that my original setup only had 3 degrees of drop. I didn't have reversion then but there was a manifold with a riser being used plus I had the y pipe to the out-drive.

My question is that Mercury suggest 14 degrees of drop to be used with their engines. For me to do this I would need to drop my exhaust 2.75" from its original location. Is this something others have done? At that point my tailpipe is going to be very close to the waterline and waves are definitely going to be rushing into it.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Best,
Matt

smokediver
09-27-2017, 04:09 PM
There are several companies that make very good off the shelf exhaust systems. No need to reinvent the wheel

donzidon
10-17-2017, 01:17 AM
I have their dry exhaust with a Gaffrig baffle insert and Drew Marine Shotgun tips. Nice parts and no problems. A bit on the loud side. The wet exhaust would be more practical.

Ghost
10-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Stainless Marine is GREAT. (If you don’t know for sure that you want dry exhaust, I’d say you don’t want it.)

dhcomp
10-18-2017, 08:23 AM
So, for the newb, how does dry exhaust work on a configuration like this?

Pat McPherson
10-24-2017, 11:30 AM
"dry" exhaust is when the water never mixes with the exhaust gases within the exhaust pipe. The water travels though a jacket on the outside so that the pipe still is cooled.

I have Merc/Gil HP exhaust that came on my boat. I have also used Stainless Marine with good success.

mattyboy
10-31-2017, 09:36 AM
http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-409-mercruiser-spacer-kits.aspx

They make 6 inch spacers as well

22classic
11-06-2017, 06:21 PM
The spacers wont fit, I only have about an inch between the existing manifold and the hatch.

I think the best thing for me to do it lower the exhaust outlet 1.5" and then measure the angle to the water....