PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Donzi 16

Cheech
08-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Hi all. New to the form but need some advice on my boat . Has Volvo 270 leg matted to 318 with a little work done . Love the boat, it's it good shape but I'd like to update the leg to a modern style with trim .
Question is, do I have to stay with Volvo as the motor is setup for that , or do I convert over to a Chevy sb with mercruiser leg and deal with transom work to make fit? Any knowledge and experience much appreciated, thx

mattyboy
08-25-2017, 01:22 PM
first off trim is nice but by the time i had my volvo 16 dialed in I didn't need it 351w ford volvo 250 run right to 60mph

find the right prop a volvo ultra or solas titan the solas titan was my favorite and i got the best speed handling from it

next if trim is really what you want you could source a volvo 280PT setup which could be added with some minor mods a couple of holes drilled and a place to mount the pump

or a volvo 290 setup this needs to make the outdrive hole bigger

merc or a new volvo would mean a glass up and recut the transom the newer setup can get a bit tight in a 16

the mopar setup is a bit rare but pretty cool post pics

Kenny n.
08-25-2017, 01:24 PM
There are 3 power trim transom plates.
270 T. Very rare but there are still a few around
280 just be sure to replace all hydraulic hoses
290 the most desirable.
All these will bolt up without much trouble and you can keep your present engine. Start shopping.

mattyboy
08-25-2017, 01:34 PM
another choice may be the merc volvo adapter plate hard to find could use new merc motor and drive with no glass work again the new motor can be tight in a 16 hatch with all the tinware on it

here is a pic of the different cut outs

08-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Hi all. New to the form but need some advice on my boat . Has Volvo 270 leg matted to 318 with a little work done . Love the boat, it's it good shape but I'd like to update the leg to a modern style with trim .
Question is, do I have to stay with Volvo as the motor is setup for that , or do I convert over to a Chevy sb with mercruiser leg and deal with transom work to make fit? Any knowledge and experience much appreciated, thx

Welcome and congratulations on your boat. Your gonna love having this forum as an asset, these guys on here are the best!

gorgar
08-29-2017, 08:16 PM
When you switch from a older volvo to a new mercruiser isn't the set up for merc go to the right side starboard and my volvo is on the port side making it a major 10k project

Kirbyvv
08-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Mercury makes drives that turn counter clockwise, so you can keep the helm on the port side.

mattyboy
08-30-2017, 02:29 PM
there have been a few 18 restos that use rh mercs with lh helms not a big deal the pumpkin is one not sure if there 16 setup that way