PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Question

tmdog
06-06-2017, 06:57 PM
I removed the lower unit for repair. Drive is a Alpha SS and want to run engine on the hose in yard. Can I hook water hose to water inlet in upper to circulate water to running engine? Is that possible? What other options are available?

Kenny n.
06-06-2017, 09:30 PM
I have done that many times, should not be a problem.

wwahl
06-06-2017, 09:31 PM
The water has to go through the water pump or the impeller will burn up.

Morgan's Cloud
06-07-2017, 05:30 AM
I removed the lower unit for repair. Drive is a Alpha SS and want to run engine on the hose in yard. Can I hook water hose to water inlet in upper to circulate water to running engine? Is that possible? What other options are available?

The water has to go through the water pump or the impeller will burn up.

True , when the lower unit is still 'on' !

gcarter
06-07-2017, 08:33 AM
On my Minx w/an Alpha, I removed the drive driven pump,
added a crank driven pump and a transom mounted pickup.
It solved all sorts of problems.

Pat McPherson
06-07-2017, 10:53 AM

This works fine. The water pressure from house not quite what the sea pump in the drive is but I never had a problem...

tmdog
06-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Thanks to all of the helpful replies. GC, Removed eng. numerous time but always overlook crank driven pump. For a Alpha, only pump to use.

10 hrs on a SBC 406 and a valve or spring let go. Doing 35 rpm and heard a metallic ping. Lost some power and exh. seemed odd. ran it aground,and lifted hatch , nothing. Started promptly and headed for the ramp. Top end tear down next week. Hope its top end.:confused: